Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Share |
Default

Leak around relief valve area


Hi everyone. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this leak. It's a rheem 75 gallon water heater and just noticed that it was leaking around the relief valve area. Then I made the mistake of opening the relief valve to drain some water and now it's leaking down the relief valve pipe.
I've attached a picture and hopefully someone can tell me if this can be fixed or get a new water heater. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Leak around relief valve area-wp_000973.jpg   Leak around relief valve area-wp_000974.jpg  


Last edited by ibuyufo; 09-22-2012 at 01:44 AM.
ibuyufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,744
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

Leak around relief valve area


Relief valve = 10-20 bucks


Water heater = ~350 bucks


I'd try swapping the relief valve first.

Normally i'd say just tap on the top of the stem of the thing and it should seat and stop leaking, but since it appears to be leaking around the threads, it should be pulled out and reinstalled anyway. Might as well get a new one.


I'd probably take the old one out before you go to the store to make sure you get one the right length.

__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan For This Useful Post:
ibuyufo (09-22-2012), plummen (09-23-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Leak around relief valve area


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Relief valve = 10-20 bucks


Water heater = ~350 bucks


I'd try swapping the relief valve first.

Normally i'd say just tap on the top of the stem of the thing and it should seat and stop leaking, but since it appears to be leaking around the threads, it should be pulled out and reinstalled anyway. Might as well get a new one.


I'd probably take the old one out before you go to the store to make sure you get one the right length.
Thanks for the advice. I will try that first and I do hope it's just that!
ibuyufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,248
Default

Leak around relief valve area


Your going to have to shut the heater off, shut the water off going to it, relieve the pressure by opening up a faucet and drain some of the water out of it be removing it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ibuyufo (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Leak around relief valve area


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Your going to have to shut the heater off, shut the water off going to it, relieve the pressure by opening up a faucet and drain some of the water out of it be removing it.
Thanks! I'll make sure to do that before I take it out. Will there be a lot of water coming out from the relief valve after I do all the steps above or will there be none? I am planning on taking the relief valve with me to get the exact size.
ibuyufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,744
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

Leak around relief valve area


Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuyufo View Post
Thanks! I'll make sure to do that before I take it out. Will there be a lot of water coming out from the relief valve after I do all the steps above or will there be none? I am planning on taking the relief valve with me to get the exact size.
Drain some of the water out of the tank first, and then you won't have any water coming out of the relief valve :D
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan For This Useful Post:
ibuyufo (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Leak around relief valve area


Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Turns out I needed to replace the water heater.

ibuyufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pressure relief valve leaks f9 flier Plumbing 21 06-14-2011 06:55 PM
Delta scald guard shower valve leak pdamania Plumbing 1 03-08-2011 05:45 PM
Leak from pressure relief valve CHRIS650 Plumbing 6 12-11-2010 08:40 AM
Vacuum relief valve? walker44 Plumbing 10 08-30-2009 04:33 PM
Water heater pressure relief valve confusion Flt_Simulation Plumbing 4 07-11-2009 10:02 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.