Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

leak,3/4 male threads full 180turn

<P>new respect for plumbers,plumbed my water to water heat exchanger,and the 20 plus solder joints were all leakproof,(thank to this chatline) the ones i was worried about.&nbsp; of the 6 pipethreads,2 leaked one being the dielectroc union,i was amazed the pressure i had to put on it to seal,(18inch channellocks,i thought i was going to break the water heater&nbsp; so when i go to hook up my water to air excnanger in plenum i have 2 connections that are tight, but if they leak i have to go a full 180 degrees to make things line up??? can you do it??&nbsp;&nbsp; i am using megaloc pipe sealant once i solder the other connections i have to cut pipe to tighten. </P>

geobckmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #2

You should not have to make it so tight. Did you Teflon tape or the dope recommended by the manufacture? If not you probably should take it apart and do it correctly. Doing so should allow you to get a full turn on it if you have too.

Rege

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #3

i ment a full 360 degrees, the fittings are a redbrass elbow,to a copper 3/4 inch female on the heat exchanger the pipe thread sealant is "megaloc" suggested by store guy, since then i bought blue monster ptfe thread tape, once i tighten i will then solder the rest of the assy, it would be a nightmare if it leaked and i had to cut it apart<plus i woujd ruin a 250.00 zone valve, ?? but i am scared to try togo another full turn??? any secrets?? or just go for it, then i could break a 250.00 heat exchanger?? WHAT TO DO???
geobckmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #4

I am not really sure what you are asking but I sure get your concern about ruining a expensive valve or tank. If you have it tight and used the right dope or tape it should not leak. If it does... You should be able to cut out the copper, back off the fitting, re-dope it and have a second go at it.

Am I missing something? Maybe posting a picture would get some better suggestions.

Rege

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote