Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Share |

Laying out plumbing for basement finishing - pictures included

Hello all. I am just about ready to start on my basement. Phase 1 will be building the laundry room, currently the laundry is on the main level. The basement is already roughed-in for a full bath, and has a functioning ejector pit.

Here is the layout of the laundry room, the ejector pit will be in the "closet" within the laundry room. On the near side of the wall (where the broom is) there will be a countertop with a sink in what-will-be the bar area.

The area here is where the washer and dryer will sit, with the washer on the left, nearest the ejector pit.

Here is my diagram of what I think I need to accomplish as far as routing the PVC for drainage. Please excuse my awesome MS-Paint skills. All PVC will be 2" - which is also what the vent and waste pipe sizes are.

Is this correct? Do I need to tie in another vent to the washer drain?

Turning around, you can see the area the bathroom will be:

It is already roughed with a shower drain, 4" pipe for toilet, and 4 vents: shower, Floor Drain (for HVAC)., Toilet, LAV.

I was planning on putting the wall in front of those vent pipes. Will this leave me enough room to install a toilet?

Finally - I have water lines running very near by in 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4". What size should I use to supply the washer and sink? Will 3/8 be enough? Would 3/4 be overkill? Any other useful suggestions? Thanks in advance. I like to get my entire plan together before I start building and have to redo/undo things.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #2

Ran into the plumbing inspector. I asked him and he drew me a little diagram, which I reproduced. Turns out my washing machine diagram has a "S" trap on it, which is illegal. This way works:

Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #3

The standard size water lines used to feed any of the fixtures you mentioned are 1/2". If you are planning on running one set of hot and cold to the entire set of fixtures it may be best to run 3/4 from the source into the laundry/bath area and then split off of it with a 3/4"x3/4"x1/2" T at each intersection and use a 3/4"x1/2"x1/2" T at the last intersection so that a 1/2" line runs to each fixture but only where each one branches off of the main run. We use pex where I come from and I would highly recommend it. Even if you don't have the crimp tool you can get crimp rings that are easily crimped with standard tools or many hardware stores (ACE etc..) rent the tools by the day/half day and it is such a time savings over gluing or soldering. Also about the toilet the standard rough in setback from the center of the 4" drain to the stud wall is 12". This gives enough room between the sheetrock and the toilet tank so they are close at the back but not quite touching once you are finished. Another useful suggestion may be that I could see a slight bit of negative slope on your vent pipes in the drawing. I am not sure if this was intentional or not but you do need this. It must flow uphill from the fixture to the vent stack so as to allow any water that gets into that vent from rain etc. to flow back down into the drain! Good luck, this looks like it will be a nice space when finished. James.
jim9944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #4

In my code, no more than 1/3 of the total length of the vent line can be horizontal. The way we get by that is to upsize one size, you lose the horizontal limitations when you do. I would run all vents in 2" to save from possible inspector issues down the road. Also put the cleanout on the washer vent above the flood level of the box, its unnecessary where it is at (but you can leave it too, can't have enough cleanouts)

Last edited by the_man; 10-19-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added to
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
call me E

A 10.5" roughin is about as close as you can get for a water closet. It appears that is what you have. This will take a special order for your WC, but not uncommon. If you push the wall back 2" so you have 12.5" from the framing to center of closet stub you can use a typical toilet
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #6

Toilet rough-ins are taken from the FINISHED wall line.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone. A few remarks:

Yes, I will make sure the horizontal vents have the correct slope, that was just MS-Paint throwing it off. I also think I will be using 2" for everything - it just seems easier. It's not that much plumbing that the 2" PVC and fittings will make a much more expensive project.

In my toilet research, I am finding that 12" is standard rough-in dimension. The tape line on the floor represents the finished wall, but I still need to push it back about 2" to get an off-the-shelf toilet to fit. Should I just "notch" the 2x4s for the plate board to get it to slide back, then "notch" the studs to fit around the horizontal vent PVC? - Basically frame around the existing PVC? Should I just cut off the vents and frame, then rebuild the vents with the studs in place?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

Nevermind. 30 seconds at Home Depots website and I see that 10" rough-in Toilets are commonly available. There are not as many (66 10" vs. 722 12"), but there are enough to choose from.