Laundry Tub Plumbing/drain Hookup? Kinda Unique.. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
DIYFrau

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Laundry tub plumbing/drain hookup? Kinda Unique..

I just put a new floor in my main level laundry room, and now I want to finally install the laundry tub I have had waiting in the basement (not hooked up). The washer is already connected and working- the water intake hoses come up through the floor for that.
My plumbing/drain setup for the sink seems a bit odd- there's only one cold water copper pipe coming up through the floor to use for it.Here are some pictures to help explain...

How do I set up the drain for the sink properly? I've been reading on here about needing to 'vent' pipes, but I don't really understand it all. Is this existing pipe already vented? I don't see how- I know the main sewage vent is in the bathroom behind the wall-nowhere near this pipe.

This is the existing drain that the washer already goes into, the P-trap is below the floor in the basement. I need to drain the tub into here too somehow. I was going to cut it off lower to the floor and add a 'y' piece to drain the tub into, but the guy at the hardware store said the drain pipe has to be as tall as the washer or it will never drain! Does that also apply for the sink?
There's also a pic of all the plumbing supplies I've gotten for this job, plus I have a length of black pipe I can cut if needed.

Can some wise plumber type please give me some direction here? I'm pretty good at doing the stuff, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right!
Thanks for your time,
Attached Thumbnails
Laundry tub plumbing/drain hookup? Kinda Unique..-laundry-room-setup-view.jpg   Laundry tub plumbing/drain hookup? Kinda Unique..-show-height.jpg   Laundry tub plumbing/drain hookup? Kinda Unique..-pipe-closeup.jpg   Laundry tub plumbing/drain hookup? Kinda Unique..-supplies.jpg  

Advertisement

glamgirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
'Do it once, and do it right!' (as opposed to doing it over 'cause you did it wrong!)
Ayuh,... I suggest you start over...
Hoses running from the cellar, through the floor to the washer is a Flood waiting to happen....

You need to plumb both the Hot, 'n the Cold, up to the sink,'n washer....

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
DIYFrau

Rewards Points: 25

Just to clarify...I didn't do the original hookup for the washing machine- it was there when I bought the house. And it works fine- the hoses through the floor is not the issue...it's how do I hook up the laundry tub (drain & water?
Thanks
glamgirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... I suggest you start over...
Hoses running from the cellar, through the floor to the washer is a Flood waiting to happen....

You need to plumb both the Hot, 'n the Cold, up to the sink,'n washer....
The hoses you have feeding the washing machine work fine for now, but like Bondo said, it's a potential flood waiting to happen. I would call a plumber to run cold and hot lines to both the sink and washing machine. I know it's money, but it will be cheaper than cleaning up the mess if one of the hoses ruptures.
jthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

how about some pics of whats below the floor? Like your drain and water lines
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain , laundry tub , water hookup