Laundry Room Tie In To 90 Year Old Soil Line - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laundry room tie in to 90 year old soil line

Hello all-

I'm new to the forum, but I've benefited from others posts, so now I come to you with a question of my own.

I'm working on a basement remodel in my home and I'm going to be putting in a laundry/mud room. This will involve some plumbing (of which I've done a little). I'm planning on using ABS for the drain lines and pex for the supply lines.

Two questions:
1) I'm planning on cutting into the 90 year old soil line. My plan is to cut it with a recip saw (and not a chain cutter to avoid the chance of caving it it) and then put a reducing wye joint in to tie in the laundry room drain. The first picture below shows the old line and I put an "x" over where I'd like to make the cut. Does this look like an acceptable place to insert the wye?

2) The 2nd and 3rd pictures below show my rough plumbing plan for the washing machine and the lav. In the images, the lines end at where the old soil line is currently. I've estimated that the drain line from the laundry will have to tie in to the old soil line about 18" off the ground. This seems to push everything up a bit (especially for the washing machine) Does this plan look like it will work?

Let me know if you haven't explained things well enough. Sorry if my terminology isn't correct...and thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Advertisement

uwditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

Have you, or are you planning on supporting the cast iron stack? That thing weighs A LOT (depending on how many stories you have). Specialty plumbing shops have clamps (not sure the proper name) that clamp around the pipe and you support the protruding handles.

Check into the rental of the snap tool. One minute to make a cut as opposed to ten minutes with a reciprocating saw. The cost of used saw blades should cover the rental. Sewer gases and sparks...maybe not, but not worth the risk.

B

Advertisement

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 636

I've made hundreds for cuts with my chain tool and never once did a pipe collapse. If it collaped then my guess would be it would have to be steel and if was in that bad a shape I would certinly would not want it in my house.
It also will give you a far straighter cut.
It's called a saddle clamp it would need to be installed in the wall in the room above.
None of this is really a DIY's job I would suggest hiring a real plumber on this one.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
None of this is really a DIY's job I would suggest hiring a real plumber on this one.
Uh, not really. I am a CPA and did this to my first house. I maybe overdid it with two saddle clamps (one in the attic and one in the basement) but an extra saddle clamp is more than a plumber. I did the same as you, cut out a piece of the cast iron stack in the basement to plumb in a PVC Y.

EDITORIAL: plumbing is not that difficult, get over yourselves you plumbers. DIYers, go buy a $25 how to book at HD, Lowes, or Menards and research anything you are not sure of online. Or pay a plumber $$$ to do what you can. It's your time and money to do with as you please.

B
Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
EDITORIAL: plumbing is not that difficult, get over yourselves you plumbers. DIYers, go buy a $25 how to book at HD, Lowes, or Menards and research anything you are not sure of online. Or pay a plumber $$$ to do what you can. It's your time and money to do with as you please.

B

Be nice there Beepster---There are a whole bunch of pro plumbers here that help homeowners DIY some very complicated jobs---

I do understand your attitude--this is a DIY place after all--and we attract independent thinking folks--

I'm just poking some fun with you--but don't paint all of us with the same brush---Mike----
ben's plumbing (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Have you, or are you planning on supporting the cast iron stack? That thing weighs A LOT (depending on how many stories you have). Specialty plumbing shops have clamps (not sure the proper name) that clamp around the pipe and you support the protruding handles.

Check into the rental of the snap tool. One minute to make a cut as opposed to ten minutes with a reciprocating saw. The cost of used saw blades should cover the rental. Sewer gases and sparks...maybe not, but not worth the risk.

B
Riser clamp
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,044

The proper name of the clamps to hold the cast iron is "Riser Clamps" and if I were doing what you are I would put one on every floor just to make sure that sucker didn't move when I start messing with it.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
Uh, not really. I am a CPA and did this to my first house. I maybe overdid it with two saddle clamps (one in the attic and one in the basement) but an extra saddle clamp is more than a plumber. I did the same as you, cut out a piece of the cast iron stack in the basement to plumb in a PVC Y.

B
If you cut a fitting into a stack make sure its a cast iron fitting,not plastic.
I see a lot of bends in your drawing for the washer line and sink line
How about cutting the floor and just cutting in a 4x4x3 wye and piping it over to the laundry that way with a seperate 3" line then you can tie the washer and sink in seperately from each other ?
Youll also need a full size vent for the washer line
Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am planning on putting in a riser clamp, although this pipe doesn't go anywhere except the toilet on the first floor...so it doesn't even go in the wall.

Do I have the laundry room plumbed correctly?

@joecaption: since you've had good experience with the chain tool, I'll go ahead and use it. I've heard that it can collapse pipes, but I don't actually know anyone who has had that happen.

Thanks everyone for the help and responses.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

That vent in your picture will not work,theres other fixtures above it
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
retired elect/hvac/plumb

There should be an arm coming off that stack up above with a closet 90 to catch the toilet,that stack should continue up through roof as a vent
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #12

@plummen: I would like to avoid breaking up the concrete floor if possible. I'm hoping the bends won't be a problem. I would have liked to shape the wall a bit differently, but because of doors/windows, etc, I had to put an "S" curve in it. Also, when you say the washer line needs a 'full size vent', what size would that be? There is an existing vent I'm going to tie in to that runs up next to the old soil line, but I don't have the measurement with me.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
retired elect/hvac/plumb

If there is already a "future vent" roughed in go ahead and use that,a 2" would be ideal though.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Be nice there Beepster---There are a whole bunch of pro plumbers here that help homeowners DIY some very complicated jobs---

I do understand your attitude--this is a DIY place after all--and we attract independent thinking folks--

I'm just poking some fun with you--but don't paint all of us with the same brush---Mike----
I didn't mean to sound too mean. I have learned a lot of things on this site. I just don't like when people say to get a pro for a job they can do themselves.

And DIYers must know your limits also. I had to have a plumber come out yesterday to do a small (and costly...maybe that is why I took a swipe) job that was beyond my scope. I could have easily half assed it and left a potential problem for the next homeowner.

B
Old 01-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

I was just poking fun---Often people come here to learn---and decide if a job is something they are comfortable doing or best left in the hand of others--

Now---every body--back to work!!!

Advertisement

ben's plumbing (01-18-2012)