Laundry Closet Project - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

laundry closet project

hi all new member here
i want to turn a area off the living room into a laundry closet
a washer and gas dryer will go in there from the basement
i was thinking of using a good quailty garden hose (i know i have to cut one end off and replace it with a female connecter)
from the washer hookup in the basement to the washer in the closet
we wash clothes only in cold water
and make a drain using pvc pipe from behind the washer to the sink in the basement
will this work?
i,m no plummer and never soldered pipes before
i also will have dryer hookup questions too
thanks,all

Advertisement

Last edited by fix what?; 04-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.
fix what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 732

laundry closet project

Very poor plan.
Far better to run new lines and add a washer box with a propper drain line with a trap.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
plummen (05-04-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

laundry closet project

I agree completely with joe but since you asked your setup would function but is nowhere near correct.i wouldn't be able to leave my house with a garden hose for waterlines in fear of them blowing apart and flooding everything.Youd be much better off with a shark tee and a coil of pex and a shark boiler drain.Very simple plumbing job.The drain isn't correct but I've been in houses that it's been done in
plumberman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

laundry closet project

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberman134 View Post
I agree completely with joe but since you asked your setup would function but is nowhere near correct.i wouldn't be able to leave my house with a garden hose for waterlines in fear of them blowing apart and flooding everything.Youd be much better off with a shark tee and a coil of pex and a shark boiler drain.Very simple plumbing job.The drain isn't correct but I've been in houses that it's been done in
thank you plumberman and joecaption
i won't do the garden hose
i forgot about the pex , will go to home depot tomorrow and check it out
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

laundry closet project

Two things:
  • Noise: Do you want to that much noise near your living room? Does your SO want that much noise near the living room?
  • Flooding: You may want to put in flood pans and auto-shutoff valves that shutoff when water is detected in the flood pan. Also, you need to get in the habit of shutting off the water when not in use. You should get good quality braided connector hoses as well.
That said, our washer is on the first floor. I'm glad because the stairs to the basement are steep. We do have a hatch hidden in the master bedroom closet that we can drop clothes to the laundry and pulley's to pull up full baskets. We also have never had a hose leak, but have had two pipes leak.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,636

laundry closet project

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebarry View Post
Two things:
  • Noise: Do you want to that much noise near your living room? Does your SO want that much noise near the living room?
  • Flooding: You may want to put in flood pans and auto-shutoff valves that shutoff when water is detected in the flood pan. Also, you need to get in the habit of shutting off the water when not in use. You should get good quality braided connector hoses as well.
That said, our washer is on the first floor. I'm glad because the stairs to the basement are steep. We do have a hatch hidden in the master bedroom closet that we can drop clothes to the laundry and pulley's to pull up full baskets. We also have never had a hose leak, but have had two pipes leak.
did you check with local for permits??????needs to be done right..
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (05-04-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

laundry closet project

Quote:
Two things:
our stairs to the basement are also steep
we won't mind the noise because we live in a very noisy area anyway
we live by a busy street and near the airport plus four dogs
my worry is how i,m going to install the gas pipe and vent for the gas dryer

Last edited by fix what?; 04-27-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

laundry closet project

No DIY home owner should be installing any gas lines or even the vent.
Can you but the dryer on an outside wall?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #9

laundry closet project

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No DIY home owner should be installing any gas lines or even the vent.
Can you but the dryer on an outside wall?
sorry didn't understand your question
but yes i will get a pro to do the gas and the vent
thanks again
Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #10

laundry closet project

Should have been can you put the dryer againt an outside wall?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #11

laundry closet project

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Should have been can you put the dryer againt an outside wall?
no way
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

laundry closet project

Quote:
Hello everyone! I am just in the process of buying a house and Goosebarry, I was wondering how your pulley system works. The laundry in this home is in the basement (I have no where to even think about putting it on the main floor) and I've been searching for ways to use a pulley system without much success.
Many thanks!
Towanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 150

laundry closet project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Hello everyone! I am just in the process of buying a house and Goosebarry, I was wondering how your pulley system works. The laundry in this home is in the basement (I have no where to even think about putting it on the main floor) and I've been searching for ways to use a pulley system without much success.
Many thanks!
The secret is a deer hoist. Here area few examples
http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Tools-Gam...6180726&sr=8-4
http://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Deer...d_sim_sbs_hi_2

You use another pulley to get the rope to the basement

To support the laundry baskets I built a frame out of 1/2 in CPVC. You will use 4 Tees, 4 Elbows and enough pipe to build the frame. Use the Tees on the corner and the elbows to turn upward. Most rectangular laundry baskets have rounded lips on top that fit into frame. Thread two ropes through the piping as shown (Hint: thread the rope before gluing pipe)tieing off on the deer hoist. Make the ropes long enough so you can swap baskets in and out.
laundry closet project-rope.jpg
My hoist is permanently mounted in the Master closet. The top of the trap door is just plywood covered in matching flooring. In the laundry room there is a framed trap door above the drier. We just used 2 hinges and surface mounted bolts to secure it. The openning is approximately 26 x 26 (2 rafters wide x depth of closet), all properly framed joists. This is big enough to fit most laundry baskets. We use these http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...y=52&section=2. They are readily available at WalMart, Target, Big Lots, etc.

I have seen systems that were built entirely out of PVC with canvas baskets. I like using standard laundry baskets.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

laundry closet project

Quote:
The secret is a deer hoist. Here area few examples
http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Tools-Gam...6180726&sr=8-4
http://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Deer...d_sim_sbs_hi_2

You use another pulley to get the rope to the basement
Thanks so much! Great system that you have.

Do you think it would be possible to rig the hoist system to go up the staircase? I can manage to make a laundry drop chute in the bathroom closet, but it's not big enough to bring up a basket.

OK.. I'm not a handyman, but a not too handy woman , but I would hopefully hire this out.

So bare with me! The deer hoist to raise it up to the right level.. then could it be on a track that could be pulled across somehow - on the ceiling?

I've been looking for just that solution .. up and over/across, or is that just an impossibility in physics?

Of course I was quite elaborate in my dreaming errrr scheming such systems, a platform that would swivel out of the staircase at the bottom, or piano hinge upright when not in use.. a track system to follow up the stair railing and it goes on and on and on!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply in detail and draw that out, much appreciated!!

Advertisement

Towanda is offline   Reply With Quote