Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #1

Share |
Thumbs up

Large air bubbles in basement toilet

Hi,

If I run the clothes washer (in the basement) and run water in the bathtub (in the basement) at the same time, I get large air bubbles coming up from my toilet. I also have an issue with water entering my basement on the floor of the exterior wall of my 50 year old, newly renovated home. This water smells like sewer water, so I'm sure they are related events.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Troubled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
DIY staff

Sounds like you are missing a vent pipe--Is this basement piping look like a professional install?

Hopefully you can trace the piping--------might be a plugged up vent .--Mike--

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #3

Hi Mike,

I think you are right on. I am still troubleshooting in the "newbie" ways that I am. The tiolet bubbles and the water is entering the basement as the clothes washer is draining. My next step is to see what a vent pipe looks like and where to find it. There is definitely an air problem with this install. As far as professionally done??? The job is neat, but I think the previous home owner and his friends installed this system. I know there was no inspection done however...

Thanks Mike. If you have any more thoughts or estimated pricing I would love to hear them.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
DIY staff

Here is a previous post that shows a typical drain and vent set up--Hope it helps you get an idea of what should be there.--Mike--Reboot:small bathroom rough-in, Help please. - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum
Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
DIY staff

If you do find a vent--look for -TRAPS--a vent must be able to drain--If they went up-then back down-then up again--Condensation will fill the low spot and create a blockage.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #6

Hi,

I believe I understand the problem and feel the need to share with the good people here.

There was a blockage leading out to the public right of way. Therefore the basement drainage system was under water. This underwater system found an abandoned section of drainage in the basement in which to leak. The rooter guys removed the blockage, the system appears to have drained, I have cut up the floor in the basement to remove the Y joint to the abandoned (troubled) section of the home and will replace with a straight section of conduit.

Thanks Mike!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Licensed Master Plumber

I didn't get a chance to post in time but I was going to say that you had a blockage in the main line somewhere. Vents rarely cause that kind of problem.

Tags
air, basement, bubbles, sewer, toilet