Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #1

Share |

lack of water pressure

My house was built in the 40's, I am on city water and the house is plumbed with 1/2 PEX to all faucets and hot water heater.

The water pressure sucks at this point if you are running the shower and flust the toilet it is down to almost a trickle, would a booster pump solve my problem?

I need to make sure that the valve at the street is all the way on.

What do I need to check before I start spending a bunch of money?
Joe Tilghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

lack of water pressure

I would start by talking to the city about the pressure at the street. This can easily be measured by the city at a close by hydrant. If there pressure is OK (usually at least 60 psi), you then check the pressure at the entrance to your house. You may have a pressure reducing valve (prv) that has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced. If the pressure entering your house at the meter and just beyond is OK, then the problem is almost certainly in your lines, which could be corroded or filled with sediment. You check them one faucet at a time, starting in the basement. If you have good pressure at one faucet but not another, that line is now suspect, and needs to be checked. You can purchase an inexpensive pressure gage that attaches to a faucet to measure pressure at any point, this will help pinpoint the trouble.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
dougp23 (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #3

lack of water pressure

There needed to be at least 3/4 Pex used as the main line from the meter to the end of the lines, 3/4 supplying your water heater. Once that 3/4" line reaches the fixtures it can be reduced to 1/2.
Without enough flow there can not be any substained pressure once a line is opened up.
It's not going to do much good to install a pressure gauge on the end of the line, all that will tell you is the avalible pressure. Once that valve is opened the pressure drops like a rock because there is not enough flow to maintain it.
Picture a garden hose, open the valve and see how fast the water comes out, now stand on the hose. The pressure is the same on the supply side but next to nothing on the nozzle side because of lack of flow.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
how

lack of water pressure

Just to add to Joe's & Daniels comments...
The cheapest things to first check is
Is your shut off valve from the street fully open? Shine a flash light down the access hole to see if it is in line with your pipe.
Is your house shut off valve fully open? Fully CCW.
Is the prescreen in your pressure reducing valve partially plugged? Usually that means turning off the house water, draining house water, unscrewing compression fitting on pressure reducing valve, removing screen & cleaning it, & reversing all those steps.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #5

lack of water pressure

Thanks all for the responses,

2 questions though where would the house shutoff be located? near the bib in line with the water meter at the street.

Is the bib in line with the water meter normally the entrance point for incomming water?
Joe Tilghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

lack of water pressure

here is a funny story i did some work at my parent in laws house and noticed low water pressure so i checked at hose bib 45 # so i asked the neighbor if i could check his 45 # i thought wow why so low when the water tower is 5 to 6 blocks away a few days later i ran in to a city water maintenance worker and asked him why pressure was so low he said that is where it had to be because 15 blocks away is in a valley about 15 ' elevation difference and if they didn't the water pressure would be to high there running down hill
i just said huh ok thanks
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote