Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Lack of hot water pressure in bathroom sink

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums. I did a search for this but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

The problem I'm having is that there is no hot water pressure in the faucet that's in my bathroom sink. Cold Water is fine and flows good.

I unscrewed the screen and made sure there was no build up. Its pretty clean.

I checked both of the valves, they're both on, I turned them both counter clockwise.

I shut off the hot water valve, unscrewed the line going directly to pipe coming out of the wall, gently opened the valve and the water was still coming out very slowly with no pressure. Its obvious to me that the problem is with the actual pipe thats coming out of the wall, not the sink itself.

I know the pipes are old. My house was built in the 1950's and still has the old galvanized pipes likely from the time the house built.

It sounds like I will need to change the pipe(s). Where do I start?

kc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #2

You are on the right track. You disconected the supply line from your faucet and turned the anglestop on (have a bucket ready) and you have no pressure? Next check your supply line for debris. If it is clear then you must shut the water off to the house and remove your anglestop. Most of the time it is the stubout nipple from your wall that is full of rust. (Shortcut) Check the condition of the threads on the nipple if it appears to be ok then you can run a small screwdriver inside the nipple to scrape out the rust. The propper way is to replace the nipple. Install new anglestop and supply line. Turn water on to the house open anglestop and spray into bucket to remove any debris and check for pressure. If still low pressure then its further down the line. Sounds like a repipe or partial repipe at the least.

Jefftheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftheplumber View Post
You are on the right track. You disconected the supply line from your faucet and turned the anglestop on (have a bucket ready) and you have no pressure? Next check your supply line for debris. If it is clear then you must shut the water off to the house and remove your anglestop. Most of the time it is the stubout nipple from your wall that is full of rust. (Shortcut) Check the condition of the threads on the nipple if it appears to be ok then you can run a small screwdriver inside the nipple to scrape out the rust. The propper way is to replace the nipple. Install new anglestop and supply line. Turn water on to the house open anglestop and spray into bucket to remove any debris and check for pressure. If still low pressure then its further down the line. Sounds like a repipe or partial repipe at the least.
Yes, exactly - I disconnected the supply line from my faucet and turned the angle stop on, there was no pressure. The water came out like a nosebleed.

The supply line is clean.

So you're saying I should shut off the water to the house, and clean the stub out "nipple" or replace it?? Then after that, add a new angle stop valve and supply line? Makes sense, but I'm still not exactly sure which piece the nipple is...

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #4

The nipple is the 1/2" galvanized pipe that the anglestop is screwed to. It is best to replace the nipple. However, if your plumbing is as old as you say and you try to remove the nipple there is a possibility of old corroded pipes breaking.Thats why I mentioned cleaning it.
Jefftheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftheplumber View Post
The nipple is the 1/2" galvanized pipe that the anglestop is screwed to. It is best to replace the nipple. However, if your plumbing is as old as you say and you try to remove the nipple there is a possibility of old corroded pipes breaking.Thats why I mentioned cleaning it.
Gotcha..thanks!
I'm gonna have a go at this tomorrow. I'm sick of not having hot water in the washroom sink