Lack Of Hot Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lack of hot water

Evening All
Had to call out a plumber today as we "lost" our hot water, we recently moved into a new flat and the pressure on the hot water has always been dubious, to say the least. However, today turned on hot tap in kitchen water ran about a minute then stopped, checked all other hot outlets, no water.
Plumber replaced a corroded ball valve in the loft tank and said all okay, initially it was, now some three hours later no hot water. The flat is one of four in the block all our neighbours have hot water, just us that do not.
The immersion tank is on the same floor level as the flat in a cupboard in the hallway, can someone please help as to what might be happening as these blokes are blxxdy expensive, final point can i improve the pressure on the hot water side in any way,
Thanx in advance hope someone can help.

Advertisement

Tony Paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,046

Lack of hot water

Does each flat have its own hot water tank, or do all four flats share one tank?

How old is the building? A building more than 50 years old can have mineral deposits partially clogging the pipes and a small pebble could come through and get stuck and suddenly stop the flow in one particular pipe.

Hmmm. That's how some heart attacks happen. Small arteries in the heart may have been partially clogged with fatty deposits over the years. No symptoms yet but then a clot may have formed elsewhere in the blood vessel system and broke loose and a fragment of the clot hits the narrowed part of a heart artery and suddenly stops the blood flow there.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-22-2010 at 11:30 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #3

Lack of hot water

Hi AllanJ,
Thanx for your response, each flat has it's own hot water cylinder, which i think are 40/50 gallon, there is one enormous tank in the loft that feeds all four flats, the flats were built in '71.
Ever since we moved in the pressure on the hot water has been a bone of contention, if someone takes a shower which is the nearest outlet to the h.w.tank, then there is no hot water at the kitchen sink, which is the farthest outlet away.
I have had a couple of people look at it and they have both said "sorry, something you will have to live with". The strange thing is that the other three flats in the building all have good hot water pressure.
Final point have been in the loft it would appear most of the pipework is flexible plastic?
Reading your reply, assume you are a plumber in your spare time, main job heart surgeon lol
Have a good break - Regards.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,046

Lack of hot water

Quote:
...Reading your reply, assume you are a plumber in your spare time, main job heart surgeon ...
Actually not, but I have read books on both subjects. I put the comment in so that someone else who knows about one subject can better understand the other.

And, actually, I hate having to do my own plumbing work.

Does the tank in the loft supply cold water also?
Do you have cold water problems?

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-23-2010 at 07:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #5

Lack of hot water

Hi Allan,
The tank in the loft is a cold water tank only and that supply is excellent with good pressure to all cold outlets.
The hot water tank is located in a cupboard on the corridor outside the main entrance to the first floor flat we occupy.
I've actually carried out a little experiment today - with the kitchen hot water tap opened fully it took 47 seconds to fill a 1 gallon container,:by comparison the cold water supplied 1 gallon of water in 24 seconds, nearly half the time and as previously stated if the hot water outlet is turned on when the kitchen outlet is on the water stops running from the kitchen outlet completely,
Thanx