DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Lack of hot water (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/lack-hot-water-132959/)

joster1 02-07-2012 09:35 PM

Lack of hot water
 
I'm having a problem with our hot water in our upstairs shower. The water never seems to get hot enough. The rest of the faucets in the house don't have a problem getting hot enough. The house is older with a Kohler faucet. I tried taking the mixer apart and adjusting the adjustment screw, but it is completly stripped out and won't move. I pretty sure it's the mixing valve, but I was wondering if they sell some kind of rebuild kit so I don't have to tear into the wall. Any help would be appreciated...

ben's plumbing 02-07-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joster1 (Post 847312)
I'm having a problem with our hot water in our upstairs shower. The water never seems to get hot enough. The rest of the faucets in the house don't have a problem getting hot enough. The house is older with a Kohler faucet. I tried taking the mixer apart and adjusting the adjustment screw, but it is completly stripped out and won't move. I pretty sure it's the mixing valve, but I was wondering if they sell some kind of rebuild kit so I don't have to tear into the wall. Any help would be appreciated...

really need a picture to say for sure..but should be able to get new cartridge for unit???:yes:

joster1 02-08-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben's plumbing (Post 847336)
really need a picture to say for sure..but should be able to get new cartridge for unit???:yes:

i don't think that there is a cartridge. It's an old Kohler all brass mixer. If that makes helps.

ben's plumbing 02-08-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joster1 (Post 848021)
i don't think that there is a cartridge. It's an old Kohler all brass mixer. If that makes helps.

there should be some kind of mixer inside that unit to control hot-cold mix????:yes:

joecaption 02-08-2012 06:53 PM

No picture, no mention if it's a single handle or two handles hard to say.
To change the whole unit out its done behind the wall the shower is. Right where there should have been an access panel in the first place.

joster1 02-09-2012 07:27 PM

It's a single handle. I'm going to pull it out this weekend and take a picture and post it. Thanks for the help:)

oh'mike 02-09-2012 08:07 PM

There is a cartridge---find a real plumbing supply house that will be open---call and make sure they have the full rebuild kit---on some models the front piece of the unit falls apart and needs replacing along with the cartridge---big box store might not have that on hand.

DexterII 02-09-2012 08:17 PM

A different spin, but galvanized plumbing by chance?

joster1 02-09-2012 08:27 PM

I'm pretty sure it's galvanized. Another symptom that is strange is that if I have the shower on full blast hot, there is almost no hot water if I turn the hot water in the sink in the same bathroom. That sink has two handles.

DexterII 02-10-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joster1 (Post 849127)
I'm pretty sure it's galvanized.

If so, it could be that the supply line is crudded up, restricting flow.

joster1 02-13-2012 08:44 AM

I think this is what the problem is... I took off the mixer and turned back on the water. Nice stream out of the cold water. almost nothing out of the hot water side... Not good.. Is there anything I can do?:( Thanks for the help....

DexterII 02-13-2012 05:10 PM

The only soultion that I know of is to replace the line, with copper or pex, not galvanized, and take it all the way back to the souce, as it's one of those do it now or do it later type things. First though, just to be certain, I would chase the line all the way back, just to make sure that a valve hasn't been accidently bumped; unlikely, as it probably has old gate valves, if anything, and not very likely easily bumped, but worth a shot. And, since you will probably have to open wall cavities, I would plan on replacing hot and cold lines.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.