Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

Share |

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on

Hi,

I changed out my hot water tank, actually hired a plumber to do it, and Ive slowly noticed that the pipes make a knocking sound when I turn the water on. Im 99% sure it has nothing to do with loose pipes. I did not have this problem before the water heaters were installed. I looked online, and read somewhere that there may be some air trapped in the pipes somewhere, and a remedy was to shuut off the main, open all the faucets in the house to drain the water, and then proceed to close them and turn the water main back on. Didnt really work. Any idea's? Do I need to install one of these water hammers?

Thanks

James

sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmfj View Post
Hi,

I changed out my hot water tank, actually hired a plumber to do it, and Ive slowly noticed that the pipes make a knocking sound when I turn the water on. Im 99% sure it has nothing to do with loose pipes. I did not have this problem before the water heaters were installed. I looked online, and read somewhere that there may be some air trapped in the pipes somewhere, and a remedy was to shuut off the main, open all the faucets in the house to drain the water, and then proceed to close them and turn the water main back on. Didnt really work. Any idea's? Do I need to install one of these water hammers?

Thanks

James
after shutting of water in a house ...when you turn it back on open both hot a cold faucets to blow out all the air....may take a minute or so ....ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
sbmfj (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Hey Ben,

did exactly that. Closed main, opened all facuets to drain water, closed them all again, and then turned back on the main. Then I proceeeded to reopen all of the faucets again to let the air out, got those gurgling sounds, although I opened the cold and hot at one at a time, not together. Still makes the knocking sounds when I turn the water on. Any ideas? Did I do something wrong? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by sbmfj; 09-09-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Hey Ben,

did exactly that. Closed main, opened all facuets to drain water, closed them all again, and then turned back on the main. Then I proceeeded to reopen all of the faucets again to let the air out, got those gurgling sounds, although I opened the cold and hot at one at a time, not together. Still makes the sounds. any ideas? Did I do something wrong? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
why are you closing the main..and opening up faucets..when you do that your letting air into system.....is this city water or well water...
Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #5

City water Ben. I closed the main and then drained the water in the pipes by opening them up, then proceeded to close the valves around the house (faucets, tub etc). Once all closed, re-opened the main and then went around and re-opned all the faucets that were closed to let the water through/out. This produced the gurlging sounds and air pockets (water spits out, and then you get a solid flow).

What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help/advise.

James
Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #6

Quote:
City water Ben. I closed the main and then drained the water in the pipes by opening them up, then proceeded to close the valves around the house (faucets, tub etc). Once all closed, re-opened the main and then went around and re-opned all the faucets that were closed to let the water through/out. This produced the gurlging sounds and air pockets (water spits out, and then you get a solid flow).

What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help/advise.

James
that is it you don't have to do anything else after you get solid flow shut of faucets ....your done...ben sr
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Does this occur with both hot & cold lines?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #8

both. Never did it before with old water tank.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Does this occur with both hot & cold lines?
hey e read post is it me or what he shuts off water opens faucets..shuts off faucets open main this where he is getting the air and noise.....ben sr
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #10

Is your new water heater set to produce hotter water than your old water heater? You may have some more thermal expansion in your lines than you used to and the sound could be coming from your pipes rubbing on studs, hangers, etc...
dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #11

The water is hotter, should I try to turn it down abit? Was kinda liking the hot water, dishes have been really nice and clean from the dishwasher!

If so, whats the ideal temp?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #12

You may turn it down just to see if it is actually the problem. Is the water heater hard-piped in to your system or is there stainless steel flex hoses connecting your water heater? Also do you know if the plumber who installed it re-did any of the piping above your water heater? Oh and is the new water heater the same height as your old one?
dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
hey e read post is it me or what he shuts off water opens faucets..shuts off faucets open main this where he is getting the air and noise.....ben sr
I have never understood this process- seems counter productive. All I've ever done is open a large remote faucet, open the main and let it run- then work through the house opening and bleeding the remainder faucets.

Do you have a pressure reducing valve on the incoming water service? It might be acting up and need cleaning. They can be temperamental.
ben's plumbing (09-10-2013), jmon (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Retired Army Veteran

sbmfj, When you said you purged all fixtures, did you include washing machine, toilets, and dishwasher? Is it possible the plumber that did the installation could help you out after you explain to him what happened?

Last edited by jmon; 09-09-2013 at 09:43 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Master Plumber

Had one give me a hard time on a new install got rid of the 2 heat traps and looped my own problem solved.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
jmon (09-10-2013)