Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 154
Share |
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Hi,

I changed out my hot water tank, actually hired a plumber to do it, and Ive slowly noticed that the pipes make a knocking sound when I turn the water on. Im 99% sure it has nothing to do with loose pipes. I did not have this problem before the water heaters were installed. I looked online, and read somewhere that there may be some air trapped in the pipes somewhere, and a remedy was to shuut off the main, open all the faucets in the house to drain the water, and then proceed to close them and turn the water main back on. Didnt really work. Any idea's? Do I need to install one of these water hammers?

Thanks

James

sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,293
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmfj View Post
Hi,

I changed out my hot water tank, actually hired a plumber to do it, and Ive slowly noticed that the pipes make a knocking sound when I turn the water on. Im 99% sure it has nothing to do with loose pipes. I did not have this problem before the water heaters were installed. I looked online, and read somewhere that there may be some air trapped in the pipes somewhere, and a remedy was to shuut off the main, open all the faucets in the house to drain the water, and then proceed to close them and turn the water main back on. Didnt really work. Any idea's? Do I need to install one of these water hammers?

Thanks

James
after shutting of water in a house ...when you turn it back on open both hot a cold faucets to blow out all the air....may take a minute or so ....ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
sbmfj (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 154
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Hey Ben,

did exactly that. Closed main, opened all facuets to drain water, closed them all again, and then turned back on the main. Then I proceeeded to reopen all of the faucets again to let the air out, got those gurgling sounds, although I opened the cold and hot at one at a time, not together. Still makes the knocking sounds when I turn the water on. Any ideas? Did I do something wrong? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by sbmfj; 09-09-2013 at 08:48 PM.
sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,293
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmfj View Post
Hey Ben,

did exactly that. Closed main, opened all facuets to drain water, closed them all again, and then turned back on the main. Then I proceeeded to reopen all of the faucets again to let the air out, got those gurgling sounds, although I opened the cold and hot at one at a time, not together. Still makes the sounds. any ideas? Did I do something wrong? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
why are you closing the main..and opening up faucets..when you do that your letting air into system.....is this city water or well water...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 154
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


City water Ben. I closed the main and then drained the water in the pipes by opening them up, then proceeded to close the valves around the house (faucets, tub etc). Once all closed, re-opened the main and then went around and re-opned all the faucets that were closed to let the water through/out. This produced the gurlging sounds and air pockets (water spits out, and then you get a solid flow).

What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help/advise.

James
sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,293
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmfj View Post
City water Ben. I closed the main and then drained the water in the pipes by opening them up, then proceeded to close the valves around the house (faucets, tub etc). Once all closed, re-opened the main and then went around and re-opned all the faucets that were closed to let the water through/out. This produced the gurlging sounds and air pockets (water spits out, and then you get a solid flow).

What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help/advise.

James
that is it you don't have to do anything else after you get solid flow shut of faucets ....your done...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,759
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Does this occur with both hot & cold lines?
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 154
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


both. Never did it before with old water tank.

Thanks
sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,293
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Does this occur with both hot & cold lines?
hey e read post is it me or what he shuts off water opens faucets..shuts off faucets open main this where he is getting the air and noise.....ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 71
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Is your new water heater set to produce hotter water than your old water heater? You may have some more thermal expansion in your lines than you used to and the sound could be coming from your pipes rubbing on studs, hangers, etc...
dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 154
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


The water is hotter, should I try to turn it down abit? Was kinda liking the hot water, dishes have been really nice and clean from the dishwasher!

If so, whats the ideal temp?
sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 71
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


You may turn it down just to see if it is actually the problem. Is the water heater hard-piped in to your system or is there stainless steel flex hoses connecting your water heater? Also do you know if the plumber who installed it re-did any of the piping above your water heater? Oh and is the new water heater the same height as your old one?
dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,759
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
hey e read post is it me or what he shuts off water opens faucets..shuts off faucets open main this where he is getting the air and noise.....ben sr
I have never understood this process- seems counter productive. All I've ever done is open a large remote faucet, open the main and let it run- then work through the house opening and bleeding the remainder faucets.

Do you have a pressure reducing valve on the incoming water service? It might be acting up and need cleaning. They can be temperamental.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-10-2013), jmon (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Retired Army Veteran
 
jmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,431
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


sbmfj, When you said you purged all fixtures, did you include washing machine, toilets, and dishwasher? Is it possible the plumber that did the installation could help you out after you explain to him what happened?

Last edited by jmon; 09-09-2013 at 09:43 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Master Plumber
 
Javiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,329
Default

Knocking in water pipes when water turned on


Had one give me a hard time on a new install got rid of the 2 heat traps and looped my own problem solved.

__________________


Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
jmon (09-10-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installation and support of water heater expansion tanks. Homerepairguy Plumbing 46 01-28-2013 05:55 AM
Anoying sound in house water pipes when sprinklers are ON gante Plumbing 1 06-07-2010 06:04 AM
A blocked water line causing water to loose heat? Snav Plumbing 6 05-07-2010 02:18 PM
water heater drip kdange1 Plumbing 5 05-04-2010 03:24 PM
How to (retrofit) insulate/air seal cantilever with hot water pipes in it? KatieAK Remodeling 7 11-04-2009 08:10 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.