Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

kitchen water leak!

So we just purchased a forclosure and unbeknownst to us the freakin new dish washer was slowly leaking behind the cabinet for about a month and a half! (ever since the water main was turned on) The water never came out onto the vinyl floor for us to see, but since the edge of the vinyl was curled up under the counter it went under the floor!!! The underside of the vinyl acted like a sponge and by capillary action the entire kitchen floor got water under it!!!
Please help me answer some questions I have:
Im not sure where the majority of the water was going. Since the dirt crawl space now has about an inch of water in spots I assume it was getting down through the floorboards. Maybe at the seams in the floor or at the wall??
Over a month even a small leak like this could add up to a lot of water right?
Its been about 4 days since I shut off the leak, but the crawl space is still about the same as far as water. Will the water slowly go away on its own? Maybe the ground beneath the house is just saturated from the leak? Should I try to dig a hole and install a pump to suck out the water or just wait awhile.
I'm in the process of ripping out the particle board underlayment which is pretty wet in some spots, but I'm just freaking over the wet crawl space!
Thanks

Last edited by joregon3597; 03-15-2012 at 09:20 PM.
joregon3597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

kitchen water leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joregon3597 View Post
So we just purchased a forclosure and unbeknownst to us the freakin new dish washer was slowly leaking behind the cabinet for about a month and a half! (ever since the water main was turned on) The water never came out onto the vinyl floor for us to see, but since the edge of the vinyl was curled up under the counter it went under the floor!!! The underside of the vinyl acted like a sponge and by capillary action the entire kitchen floor got water under it!!!
Please help me answer some questions I have:
Im not sure where the majority of the water was going. Since the dirt crawl space now has about an inch of water in spots I assume it was getting down through the floorboards. Maybe at the seams in the floor or at the wall??
Over a month even a small leak like this could add up to a lot of water right?
Its been about 4 days since I shut off the leak, but the crawl space is still about the same as far as water. Will the water slowly go away on its own? Maybe the ground beneath the house is just saturated from the leak? Should I try to dig a hole and install a pump to suck out the water or just wait awhile.
I'm in the process of ripping out the particle board underlayment which is pretty wet in some spots, but I'm just freaking over the wet crawl space!
Thanks

Nothing to freak out about. If you can ventilate the crawl space and place a fan blowing over the area and you should be fine.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,000

kitchen water leak!

I think it's amusing your freaking out about water in a crawl space when your facing having to now have to remove all the countertops, counters and all of the subflooring to fix the real problums this leak caused. And it's going to have to be done soon or mold will set in.
Partical board is the last thing anyone should use for a subfloor. It will soak up even moisture in the air never mind a real leak. It swells up then becomes like oatmeal.
It's no longer an exceptable subfloor for any type of flooring.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
Question

kitchen water leak!

Although I'm still worried about the wet crawl space, I'm trying to focus on the floor repair:
I'm not totally sure what the underlayment is. Its some type of particle board, maybe MDF? It looks like compressed saw dust, no big flakes in it. Below that is plywood.
A leak like this going on for a little over a month....will the plywood subfloor underneath the particle board survive? I'm planning on tearing up all the particleboard and drying out the plywood underneath.
Thanks for any help
joregon3597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

kitchen water leak!

If the plywood is exposure rated (it will say so on the plywood), it is possible you can salvage it by drying it thoroughly and checking it for delamination. The particle board is history, might be worth burning but more likely just throw it away. As for the crawl space, if you stopped the lead, as the other poster noted, put a fan down there and eventually it will dry out. Since you have so much work to do, it might be a good time to add a vapor barrier over the crawl space, you could consider plastic sheeting, or even go whole hog and place a couple of inches of concrete on the soil.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote