Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen sink venting issue

Hello,

I have a kitchen sink on an outside wall, right under a window. The drain goes through the floor, and then over to the main sewer stack. It does not have a vent hooked up to it. Here is a picture of it coming down through the floor:

Here is a picture of it connecting to the main sewer stack:

The lower pipe in the picture comes up from the sump pump. When the sump pump turns on, the kitchen sink gurgles. As you would guess from the lack of venting, the kitchen sink drains slowly. The distance between where the drain comes down, and where it meets the sewer stack, it 12-15 feet. Right now, the only vent is above the main sewer stack, as that is where the rest of the plumbing in the house is.

What are some options/suggestions to eliminate the gurgling, and vent the kitchen sink? Do I need to vent the sump as well?

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Erik

erm213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #2

is the pump for ground water or sewage? if it's for sewage, it should be vented as should the kitchen sink obviously. can you take a pic of the piping under the sink?

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
is the pump for ground water or sewage? if it's for sewage, it should be vented as should the kitchen sink obviously. can you take a pic of the piping under the sink?
It is for sewage mainly. It is an older house, and some ground water does weep into it. The washing machine, and a utility sink drain into the sump now. I will get a picture up as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Erik
Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
BIGRED

If only the washing machine, utility sink, and ground water drain into the sump pit it is probably an open pit and does not require additional venting. Check the drain line under the floor for your kitchen sink, for pitch. From your picture it appears to be slightly back pitched towards the pipe going up through the floor for the sink. This would cause the sink to drain slowly, with or without a vent. Many many homes have kitchen sinks below windows (keeps the workers happier when they are chained to the sink) and most of those sinks have a TEE in the wall above the drain to vent the line up to the roof or over to the main 3-4" stack. Could your set up be like this? The gurgling you speak of, if it is really from the sumppump and not from a dishwasher, could be caused by the pressure from the sumppump siphoning the kitchen line and sucking the sink trap dry. Your picture shows both drain lines tying into the main within inches of each other, on a WYE, and no vent above that top 90. That is no good and a vent line at that point, tied into the main vertical stack would alleviate that problem.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Bud View Post
If only the washing machine, utility sink, and ground water drain into the sump pit it is probably an open pit and does not require additional venting. Check the drain line under the floor for your kitchen sink, for pitch. From your picture it appears to be slightly back pitched towards the pipe going up through the floor for the sink. This would cause the sink to drain slowly, with or without a vent.
I will check this when I get home. I'm pretty sure it goes down hill, I might have been holding the camera crooked.

Quote:
Many many homes have kitchen sinks below windows (keeps the workers happier when they are chained to the sink) and most of those sinks have a TEE in the wall above the drain to vent the line up to the roof or over to the main 3-4" stack. Could your set up be like this?
There is no vent line on the kitchen sink, I have checked in the attic, and nothing comes up from area where the sink is.

Quote:
The gurgling you speak of, if it is really from the sumppump and not from a dishwasher, could be caused by the pressure from the sumppump siphoning the kitchen line and sucking the sink trap dry. Your picture shows both drain lines tying into the main within inches of each other, on a WYE, and no vent above that top 90. That is no good and a vent line at that point, tied into the main vertical stack would alleviate that problem.
It is not from a dishwasher, as I don't have one! Ok, so if I replace the top 90 with a tee, and take that up and tie into the vent I should be ok? That would be great, as that would be a relatively cheap and easy solution.

Thanks,

Erik
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #6

Here are the pictures under the sink:

Thanks,

Erik
Old 04-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #7

I checked the pitch of the kitchen drain. It does pitch the correct correction.

Thanks,

Erik
Old 04-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #8

what about an air admittance valve for venting of the sink?

such a valve would have to be installed above the flood plain of the sink and be accessable. usually, this means in the wall and 6" above the rim of the sink with a hinged door for accesss... but this is for interior walls. in my area we are not allowed to install such a valve in an exterior wall so you'll have to check to see your area. but if you are not allowed either, then the other solution is to drill a hole in your countertop beside the faucet and install the counter mount air admittance valve there.

Knucklez
Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #9

We have something similar in our house. The vent from the sink goes up to the bottom of the window and then goes around the window (L shape around the window). When we had it inspected, this was fine. The vent size we used was 1.5" Something like this would give you the venting you need if what you've discovered so far isn't sufficient. Be sure to check the local code to see if 1.5" is fine or if you need 2"
Clumsy Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #10

relocating the vent for a kitchen sink

I am having to relocate the vent for my kitchen sink due to a hydro service upgrade... they moved the panel and it can't be too close to the vent... can I re-route it around a window in ontario? is there some where I can go to get more information on this?

hjpsw is offline   Reply With Quote