Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen sink takes too long for hot water.

Our kitchen is on the opposite end of the house from the water heater so understandably it takes a long time to get hot water.

A plumber I know recommends putting in a recirculating pump. I may not totally understand how those work but I think it would be wasting hot water since it would keep hot flowing through the pipe all the time right?

Would and electric tankless heater be a good option? I only want it for the kitchen sink not the dishwasher or anything else so I wouldn't need a big one.

What do you guys think?

msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #2

Why not relocate the water heater?
A pump uses very little power and does just what it says, it curculates the water so there is no wasted hot water. It's a closed loop. Your waisting far more by having to run the water long before it get hot.
The smaller tankless heater that fit under the sink are more trouble then there worth. The sencer inside that sences flow tends to get coated with minerals and stop working.
Go on Amazon.com some time and look up tankless water heater, look down at the bottom of the listing and see the reviews and see how many people have bought one, hated it and sent it back.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

I thought the recirc pump ran water from the hot water line into the cold line?

Also would it make the cold water warm?

Last edited by msaeger; 12-04-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Military Mom of 4

A recirc pump is tied into two lines: the hot water coming from the tank and the cold water that feeds into the tank.

It does not tie into your cold-water tap that comes out of your faucet in order to 'warm up' your cold tap water.

It uses a pump to pull the water from the tank (hot) to deliver it to the fixture.
The cold-water that's laying in the line is recirculated back into the hot water heater by the pump.
The pump monitors the temp of the water and switches modes accordingly.

Without a pump to force the hot water through - as you have now - the water slowly warms up because the pipes and cold-water that's laying in the line slowly warms up as it's pushed through. The first bit of hot water from the tank, when it contacts the cold water laying in the lines, cools down some. By shortening the time it takes for the real hot water to get to the tap it minimizes this 'warm water' period.

There are different types - and some are installed under your nearest sink and activated with a button . . . others are tied into your lines somewhere along the way - etc.

Last edited by Snav; 12-04-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #5

circulating pumps draw the hot water through the hot water lines and return it to the bottom of the water heater. a sensor installed on the return line would cut the pump off at a set temperature. a check valve is installed in the return line to prevent the water flowing the wrong way in the line. the pumps are 1/33 hp and don't use a lot of electric and aren't running all the time.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #6

Thanks that makes more sense now :-)

Trying to explore all the options what about something like this with a small tank under the sink?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B0006...3053086&sr=8-4
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

I have been reading through the reviews on amazon for the watts pump. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B000E...aw_cr_p_hi_n_3

It seems like the results people are getting depend on what method they used to install it. It sounds like the best way is to have a separate return line to the water heater instead of using the cold water line. People are also having problems if they have faucets where water will flow through the hot side to the cold side. I found out by accident at least some of mine do that.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #8

I installed a hot water recirculating pump because the master bath is at the furthest point from the water heater. It has a few drawbacks, which have been noted above. The valve that allows the hot water to crossover to the cold water is connected to the sink furthest from the water heater. That sink will have warm water coming from the cold tap for the first few seconds. Sometimes you have to run the cold water for a few seconds longer to get the coolest water. I installed the pump at least 5 years ago and the only thing I have done is reset the timer once in awhile if the power goes out. Aside from the minor limitations, I would recommend the system.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

David
Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #9

I have a similar situation with my kitchen sink. I intend to install a small tank water heater beneath it in the crawl space. My main water heater is a gas tankless, but I don't trust those small point-of-use electric ones.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #10

Electrics are fine but some are loud i would recommend a gas but that's my preference. a resirck just keeps the hot water flowing through the pipe, since when you haven't used it for a while water sits and gets to room temp. they are nice if you like instant hot water and overall they save you money!

Licensed Plumber!
plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #11

also i didn't read your whole post but you have 2 lines HOT-"RED if you have pex/zurn pipe" and COLD-"BLUE Zurn/Pex also", so your main starts as one line and on splits off to your water heater and the other goes as "COLD WATER". Then from the water heater it goes to your resirk and circulates through all the HOT-"RED" pipe and reuses the hot water when not used, therefor you have instant hot water!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #12

TO- md2lgyk

you should be fine with a Mini, but i don't understand your problem why don't you just hook it up to your gas heater?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #13

What pump would be good? All I am finding on google is one from Watts. Any good links on the different ways to install these?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #14

There are two types of recirc systems. One has a dedicated return loop from the furthest fixture back to the water heater. The other has no return loop and has a small mixing valve at the furthest fixture and uses the cold water side as the return loop. With the second option you will have a little bit of warm water out of the cold side when you first turn the cold water on then it goes back cold after a second or two. Both of these systems have option for a built in timer which would allow you to run the pump at your desired times (when you most use water) ex: when you first wake up, when you get home from work, when your usually going to cook dinner, whenever). If at all possible without going through too much trouble or demo work the dedicated return loop system would defiantly be the better option because it's not bleeding hot water over to your cold side for the return loop. I've installed a ton of both different kinds and both will save time and water usage.
Service plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Service plumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-06-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #15

Grundfos makes a good pump

Service plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Service plumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-06-2011)