Kitchen Sink Supply Lines Are Reduced. Why? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen sink supply lines are reduced. Why?

My supply lines under the kitchen sink are 1/2" and then they are reduced to 1/4" before connecting to the 3/8" flexible supply lines. My water pressure for the kitchen sink is horrible. This may be due to all the crud that has built up over the years. I'm getting ready to install a new sink and faucet. Should I remove that reducer and connect the 1/2" copper pipe to the supply lines directly? I don't understand why it would be set up this way. Someone mentioned that it is to increase water pressure but it sure isn't with the current faucet but it is also plugged up pretty good with buildup. Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

mi_fiveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_fiveo View Post
My supply lines under the kitchen sink are 1/2" and then they are reduced to 1/4" before connecting to the 3/8" flexible supply lines. My water pressure for the kitchen sink is horrible. This may be due to all the crud that has built up over the years. I'm getting ready to install a new sink and faucet. Should I remove that reducer and connect the 1/2" copper pipe to the supply lines directly? I don't understand why it would be set up this way. Someone mentioned that it is to increase water pressure but it sure isn't with the current faucet but it is also plugged up pretty good with buildup. Thanks for any advice.
I would install new crome shut off valves....5/8 od compression x 3/8 od compression ball valves with new flexible supply direct to base of faucet...thats a normal install.....make sure you flush lines...

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #3

Can you use compression fittings with hard copper pipe? I thought they were only for soft flexible copper pipe.
mi_fiveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Can you use compression fittings with hard copper pipe? I thought they were only for soft flexible copper pipe.
Yup, done all the time.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #5

If there is galvanized pipe in the house that may be the problem. Galvanized pipe fills with rust and restricts the flow to the fixtures. You may need to replace some of the branches that feed the fixtures such as your kitchen sink. If you are going to replace your sink this would be the best time to also do the re-pipe. The flexible connectors that feed the faucet from the shut-off valve up are plenty sufficient when the lines are clean.
As to your other question, you can use compression type valves on hard copper but I have found it better to sweat a male adapter onto the copper and use a female ended shut off valve. Less leaks that way! Also, when you need to replace the shut off valve it is simple to do.
ldyplmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 602

Quote:
I'm getting ready to install a new sink and faucet.
A note of caution when buying your new kitchen sink faucet. I replaced our old faucet because of old age. While doing that, I replaced the flexible supply lines with the same size as the old ones.

The water flow from the new faucet is noticeably less than the old faucet. I'm not sure if there's a water conversation thing going on with the new faucet but since the supply lines are the same, it has to be the new faucet. Suggest paying good attention to the water flow specs for your new faucet.

HRG

Advertisement

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote