Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Steven Z. Send a message via MSN to Steven Z.
Share |

Kitchen Sink Supply Lines

The kitchen sink faucet has been giving the family a lot of trouble for years now, and just recently is started dripping so bad we had to turn off the cold water supply. The drain is also blocked somewhere down the way, and putting a snake down doesn't do much. We have to have a bucket in the sink basin to catch the waste water and periodically dump it in the front yard.

My mom finally got a new faucet and I've been trying to get the old faucet off for a week now. The problem is that the supply lines for both the cold and hot are metal pipes, not flexible tubing. They are bolted on to the inputs on the old faucet. I've been using a plumbing wrench, pliers, hands, etc but thee is literally no room to even turn the wrench, assuming I can even get a grip on the bolt. Here is a crappy drawing of what it's like:

There are just a few inches around the supply line, making it impossible to turn the bolt. Is there a special wrench or "trick" to getting this off? Once we do get it off, should we replace the supply lines with the flexible tubing?

Steven Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
Do something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Z. View Post
The kitchen sink faucet has been giving the family a lot of trouble for years now, and just recently is started dripping so bad we had to turn off the cold water supply. The drain is also blocked somewhere down the way, and putting a snake down doesn't do much. We have to have a bucket in the sink basin to catch the waste water and periodically dump it in the front yard.

My mom finally got a new faucet and I've been trying to get the old faucet off for a week now. The problem is that the supply lines for both the cold and hot are metal pipes, not flexible tubing. They are bolted on to the inputs on the old faucet. I've been using a plumbing wrench, pliers, hands, etc but thee is literally no room to even turn the wrench, assuming I can even get a grip on the bolt. Here is a crappy drawing of what it's like:

There are just a few inches around the supply line, making it impossible to turn the bolt. Is there a special wrench or "trick" to getting this off? Once we do get it off, should we replace the supply lines with the flexible tubing?
Check out the D.O. Smith Co. for angle stop wrenches.

D'Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Have you tried a basin wrench?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Household Handyman

"Steven Z": I know you don't want to hear this one, but--I have had to remove entire sinks to get some older faucet assemblies and lines off. I have a number of "special" tools which should do the trick, but every now and then I run across another one that wins. It seems that some of the older faucet and lines get what's know as "galvanic corrosion" (which is when dissimilar metals touch and corrode) and are like welded together. Maybe look to see how your sink is held in and determine if this may be a better way. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote