DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Kitchen sink plumbing leak (

bodekms 11-16-2011 09:52 AM

Kitchen sink plumbing leak
The townhouse a friend of mine is renting out has a leak around the trap of the kitchen sink.

He is not in the area anymore, so he asked if I could take a look at it. I've had some experience doing minor plumbing work, and am fairly confident I can take care of things when seeing this picture.

The only thing that looks hairy is the buildup where the trap connects to the "adapter" piece. If I can't get remove the buildup, would I have to cut the adapter off of the pipe going into the wall? If so, how would I go about getting the replacement trap and adapter to go to the new, shorter pipe, since it will not be a standard distance away from the trap (assuming there is a standard distance)? Are there special adapters for just this situation?

Any help is appreciated.

autx790 11-16-2011 10:27 AM

You could cut the stub coming out of the wall back, then extend it with a coupler and another short piece back to where it needs to be.

jc60618 11-16-2011 12:31 PM

Am not a fan of hard piping traps. I would cut the pvc back install a 1 1/2 trap adapter and then get a tubular p trap

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1