Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #1

Share |

kitchen sink hot water acting funny

hello all, long time reader first time poster.

i have a strange problem in my kichen. when i turn my hot water on, the water runs out regualrly untill the water actually gets hot. then the whole faucet and plumbing down under starts to shake while making a slow machine gun sound at the same time the hot water cuts back, untill i change the hot water to not so hot or cold.

also when the dishwasher is running, if i turn on the hot water it only barely comes out?

this only happens in the kichten. the house was built in 05. nuthing seems to be wrong with the cold water.

any thoughts let me know thanks
jr
jr2dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #2

Too funny. I have not seen one of these in a while.

What happens is that the hot water causes the components to expand as they heat up. As they expand it cuts the flow almost to the point where it almost stops. The cold is not affected since there is no expansion of the components.

If you notice you can stop the "machine gun" effect by opening up the faucet more. At least this should make it stop.

So what is the solution.

Where there is no exact way to fix this. I have found that it is a combination of several things including the shut off under the sink, the pipe to the faucet and the faucet itself. It's kind of like harmonics where you have a combination of frequency and volume that can break glass. Adjust one of the components and the problem goes away.

Most of the time it is fixed by replacing the faucet with a higher quality one. If you know how to put in a set up to prevent water hammers this will also work but you will still get a slower flow through the faucet.

Also check the line from the shut off to the faucet. Sometimes if that is too long and bend in a certain way that can cause this problem. Move that line to one side or another and see if that stops the hammering.

As for the dish washer the same principle is at work.

To do a test open the faucet on hot all the way. You will see the flow run great till the hot water hits and the flow will slow down. If you only open it a little bit then you will get the "machine gun" effect which should stop if you open it all the way.

Last edited by Marvin Gardens; 10-28-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #3

thanks for the response! you were right, after i post the problem i rolled my sleeves up and was ready for work. all i did was move the hot water line from side to side, and turn off one of the two the shut off valves. next thing i did was turn hot water back on to see if i turned the right shut off valve. i guess i turned wrong one because the hot water came out no problem! problem fixed. i turn the shut off valve back the other way and called it a day. very strange?

i was going to ask, what shut off did i turn if it wasn't the water supply or the hot water valve? there are 2 valves under sink. both have steel braided lines coming off them up to the sink. the one on the left also has a copper line coming off that appears to be headed towards dishwasher? this valve turns a few times while the other is about a quarter turn. just curious.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2dr View Post
thanks for the response! you were right, after i post the problem i rolled my sleeves up and was ready for work. all i did was move the hot water line from side to side, and turn off one of the two the shut off valves. next thing i did was turn hot water back on to see if i turned the right shut off valve. i guess i turned wrong one because the hot water came out no problem! problem fixed. i turn the shut off valve back the other way and called it a day. very strange?

i was going to ask, what shut off did i turn if it wasn't the water supply or the hot water valve? there are 2 valves under sink. both have steel braided lines coming off them up to the sink. the one on the left also has a copper line coming off that appears to be headed towards dishwasher? this valve turns a few times while the other is about a quarter turn. just curious.
One is hot and the other is cold. They are just different models. One has screw threads and the other is a 1/4 turn. Both do the same thing.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

ok thanks for all of yer help and knowledge!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
Too funny. I have not seen one of these in a while.
Me either, and I just had to say that this post brought back some memory's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, plumbing, problem