Kitchen Sink Gargles When Washer Is Draining - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

kitchen sink gargles when washer is draining

Whenever my washer drains, I can hear my kitchen single gargling (nothing comes up though).

I have one of those studor AAVs running as a vent for my washer. The main vent stack is located next to the toilet (and the toilet does not bubble or make any noise: it used be siphoned dry until I installed the AAV at the washer). So now it's just the kitchen sink. Looking under the sink, I see no vents or AAVs. Could this be the cause of my problem? Also, what would be the best way to install an AAV with this setup (if that's required)?

Advertisement

Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #2

I think I understand. A t fitting coming off of the trap. The vertical legs would go to the trap/waste line, and the horizontal leg would have a vent. WOuld using an AAV be acceptable for this?

EDIT: Something like this? http://activerain.com/blogsview/1128...-a-studor-vent

Advertisement

Last edited by Tonglebeak; 01-16-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I agree, the water is searching for the easiest path, Maybe checking to see if a vent is plugged on the roof, I have had that happen before, Maybe slightly clogged with leaves etc.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 01-16-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: removed adv links
reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Residential Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

In Illinois, S-traps are outlawed. I know this is off topic, but I haven't seen one in awhile.
rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
Hello again, YES something like that would work. Also as Reuter stated maybe roof vent is clogged or snow build up or even if it is a smaller diameter vent increasing the size out through roof will help with venting. As a plumber one of the first things we learned was a vent serves for two puroposes. 1)Removing methane gas (sewer gas) from the house and 2) Bring in fresh air to allow waste to flow down the pipes from the house. Its like a straw with your thumb over it, if you restrict the vent size or plug it up, it will gargle etc. not allowing the waste to flow out. Hope this makes sense! Good Luck.
I don't even have roof vent :P My vent comes up next to the bathroom under, out from the ground. Nice to have near a window isn't it?

And I know it's not clogged. When the wind kicks up, it draws out the septic gases with it
Old 01-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

thatsprobably just a vent for septic tank,no vents coming through your roof? s-traps are ilegal around here to becauce its easy for water to siphon out of traps
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
thatsprobably just a vent for septic tank,no vents coming through your roof? s-traps are ilegal around here to becauce its easy for water to siphon out of traps
I'll have to look again. All I remember is just a vent for the oil furnace.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #8

Could the dishwasher be trying to draw air from the kitchen sink. If you don't have the dishwasher vented may be pulling the air in through your sink drain. I'm not sure but that's what I think.. The water needs air behind it to drain. There is something called a cheater vent. I'm not sure what code is where you live, They may not allow that.
I think you could maybe try finding out if its trying to pull air from your sink if you plug sink drain's and maybe put some water in each to make sure there sealed. Turn on your dishwasher and listen when it tries to drain. I would either not make that noise because I can't get air, or maybe you would hear it make the noise at the next closet drain. If its that I would watch close because your dishwasher may overflow if there isn't some kind of safety.
willowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #9

A check vent acts as an air vent for a drain. For drain lines to work properly, they must draw in air for waste water to flow away without gurgling. Each drain in a home must have its own air vent. Drains get air in one of two ways -- by a vent pipe which extend up through the roof or a check vent (sometimes known as a cheater vent).
When water is released from the sink into the drain, the check vent opens and allows air into the drain pipe so the water can smoothly flow away. It opens by suction. However, if the drain pipe is plugged or running slow and the water starts to back-up, the check vent will close preventing any water from spilling. When not in use, the check vent remains closed to prevent any sewer gases from escaping.

You need to check to make sure your code allows it.
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen sink gargles when washer is draining-checkvent2-1-.jpg  
willowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #10

Been meaning to reply again...there is indeed no vent going through the roof. Just a vent next to the bathroom window where the drainage line exits the house.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #11

Ok guys, how is this? I heard gargling/gurgling/whatever you want to call it, for about 10 seconds when the washer started to drain, but then it stopped. A much noticeable improvement. Hopefully when it drains again I won't hear it anymore. Also now, if one drain is plugged off, the other drains just fine (wasn't like that at all before). I'm also guessing this could fall under "emergency repair" so that a permit wouldn't be required >_>

Update: crap, it still does for the first 10 seconds or so. Then the noise moves to the bathtub drain. Man...I have an AAV right next to the washer, I now have one under the sink. Maybe its just all noise created by the massive flow of water through pvc? I can say for sure that the toilet doesn't get siphoned (and it sits right over the drain exit).

Last edited by Tonglebeak; 02-04-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #12

Anyone?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #13

Do you have a basement/cellar? I think what you really need is a good real vent system installed hooking in all your fixtures and vented properly out of the roof. I am no plumber and am sure that is not what you want to hear, but I think it is the real solution to your drain issues. Also consider installing other traps besides "S" traps.
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #14

Unless I'm mistaken, the trap I installed is a p-trap. How is it an s-trap? And why wouldn't an AAV be sufficient? The washer is vented with one, the sink is. The bathroom sink and toilet are within 4 feet of a vent directly outside of the house.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #15

Is it possible that I may just simply have a partially clogged drain? But then the toilet never bubbles or anything like this...but the toilet also never gets siphoned either.

Advertisement