Kitchen Sink Draining Issue - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 2

kitchen sink draining issue

I am having a problem with my kitchen sink draining. Whenever I drain a large amount of water i.e. dishpan full. I hear water splashing in the basement. when I went to check there is a y shaped joint in my pvc pipe. There is what looks like a cap with a small hole in it and the water is spurting out of it. It is a manufactured hole not a crack or anything like that. I have zilch knowledge of plumbing. Is there supposed to be an opening in this cap or should it be replaced with a solid cap. I know that cap is probably not the correct word, but the y shape looks like another pvc pipe should join in there but there is no additional pipe to join to, so I was guessing that it is there to stop water from spurting out. Can someone shed some light on this. Thanks


mrose821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,448
Rewards Points: 14,026

It's anyone's guess what it is without a picture.


When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,378
Rewards Points: 320

Sounds like you're describing a cleanout. You remove the cap and snake the line from there if it's clogged. There is no other pipe that goes there. Why someone put a hole in the cap, idk. There should not be a hole in it. Maybe a venting issue?? Just guessing.

Please post a picture when you can. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 03-29-2015 at 06:52 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 2,661
Rewards Points: 2,212

Does it look sorta like this? maybe different color and size. If so you should be able to just unscrew the plug and get just that from a good lumber yard or plumbing place.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: shelby county ohio
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 136

I would have to agree that the hole got put in there for a venting issue, but will add that if you have water squirting out of the hole, you have a blockage in the line. A free flowing drain to me does not make water leak out of a properly installed cleanout. I would remove the cap, snake the line and put a new cap in. If you have a vent issue, they make a mechanical vent you can plumb into the cabinet space under the sink.
karin els is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New kitchen sink issue Grebus Plumbing 2 01-21-2016 10:22 AM
Kitchen sink not draining, is it the vent? gdav Plumbing 18 02-12-2013 03:38 PM
Installing new Vent pipe for kitchen sink dtweiss74 Plumbing 1 10-21-2012 02:11 PM
kitchen sink gargles when washer is draining Tonglebeak Plumbing 38 02-24-2010 12:43 AM
Smell Under Kitchen Sink mamaerin General DIY Discussions 4 09-23-2009 11:01 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1