Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen Sink Drain

I am renovating a kitchen and want to move my sink 3 feet to the right and add a spot for a dishwasher. The problem is that there is a basement window directly below this area. I also have to install a washing machine, outside water fixture and a wash tub in the downstairs area.
1) Can any plumber types draw a quick diagram for me as to how I would to this using P traps etc.
2) This is a very old house with no vent pipes. Where should I place AAV's with the peripherals that I have mentioned
3) There is a window below where the kitchen sink is. Can I 45 the pipe away from the window or will that affect the flow of the drain. I know when I get down to the bottom that I have to go 1/4" for each foot.
4) Am I better to run a flexible line to the dishwasher from cold water supply?
5) Does the drain for the dishwasher have to be 1 1/2" ABS/PVC and does it also have to have a P trap?

Last edited by bwilliams; 07-10-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Fresh Start
bwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen Sink Drain

your best bet it to do some research and get a basic idea of how to do things then try making a diagram yourself and post it to see if you get comments.

I have an old house 1st floor has no vents. I am working on a kitchen sink and D/W like you look at my posts to see some diagrams I came up with.

So far I can tell you it is possible to convert to a P trap using the method I drew in my last post about it your AAV may be able to service the whole shebang I am not knowledgable enuf to say but I did learn that the AAV has to be above the floor rim of any fixture like a sink toilet etc... that can make it tricky cause it eliminates the possibility of putting the AAV under the kirthen sink cab . takes time I have spent many weeks looking at info to figure out a basic plan of action...good luck!

petros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petros151 For This Useful Post:
bwilliams (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,480

Kitchen Sink Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
I am renovating a kitchen and want to move my sink 3 feet to the right and add a spot for a dishwasher. The problem is that there is a basement window directly below this area. I also have to install a washing machine, outside water fixture and a wash tub in the downstairs area.
1) Can any plumber types draw a quick diagram for me as to how I would to this using P traps etc.
2) This is a very old house with no vent pipes. Where should I place AAV's with the peripherals that I have mentioned
3) There is a window below where the kitchen sink is. Can I 45 the pipe away from the window or will that affect the flow of the drain. I know when I get down to the bottom that I have to go 1/4" for each foot.
4) Am I better to run a flexible line to the dishwasher from cold water supply?
5) Does the drain for the dishwasher have to be 1 1/2" ABS/PVC and does it also have to have a P trap?
These are some pretty generic questions.
Probably the best way to start is with some pictures or drawings.
Different areas of the country plumb differently too, depending on the areas codes. Where are you located?
To get a basic understanding of venting and drain principals, try a simple Google search. Apply that knowledge to your situation. If you're still stumped- we're here for ya
bwilliams (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Kitchen Sink Drain

I am from Ontario, Canada. I have made a drawing on paint that I think will help. Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Kitchen Sink Drain

ok from a novice I am told by others that is you put that AAV below the flood rim of the sink you're asking for trouble, it will leak out water when the sink clogs... that's what folks on this board have told me...
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #6

Kitchen Sink Drain

I am guessing the flood rim is the uppermost portion of the sink. Also, how do I find your posts on the forum?
Anything else you see wrong?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #7

Kitchen Sink Drain

yes the highest point on the sink where water would spill out if it goes above.

I am not sure actually how to locate my posts check see if it allows a search for users or search for this title ok "I'm ALMOST ready to call a Plumber! AHHH!!!"

or search P trap

look at all the pics because I kept changing it and there is one where it got right, last one I think and this is what I am using.

In my case I have a balloon frame house but I cannot put a vent up to the attic very well at this spot in the kitchen so I am using the cavity behind the sink cabinet which luckily has enough height to accomodate an AAV and it will be above the flood rim. I will put a decorative vent so the AAV can be changed when needed, I think most places plumbing code would say no AAV in a wall unless it is accessible

so look at where you AAV is hooked in this is what I had at first and people told me to change it you see the result in the last drawing...

I searched for P trap S trap plumbing a fixture with out a vent etc... in google