Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen sink backup/Washing machine overflow/Drywell

Hello, All! I am a lifelong apartment dweller who has just recently bought a house in upstate NY and am already having some major problems. Apparently, the kitchen sink (which doesn't drain quickly) and the washing machine (which overflows) are both connected to the drywell outside. The 2 bathrooms in the rest of the house are connected to the septic tank and do not back up or overflow.

A plumber used a 75 foot snake through the pipes and nothing was seemingly blocking the pipes. Then he used a camera and saw nothing UNTIL but the camera could not go much further. There was a bend in the pipe and he couldn't see anything further. His tests were inconclusive and he suggested connecting the washing machine to the septic and ripping up the wall to find exactly where the kitchen sink pipes go to the drywall to either *unclog* or also reconnect to the septic.

This is going to cost a lot and I have absolutely no experience with these things, never having lived in a house before and certainly not knowing how these things work while living in an apartment. I can't know if this is the right route to go or not but I also can't not wash my clothes and fear a backup in the kitchen sink every time I do dishes. Any advice? Suggestions? Has anyone had a similar situation? I've heard some stories about lint being the culprit. I'm very bewildered by all this so I appreciate any help. Thanks to you all!

ziganska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Did he trace the line to see in which direction the line went? if not he should have this will give you an idea where this line is heading, back into the sanitary system or to the exterior ???

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

Hi, Javiles. Yes, he traced it down from the kitchen sink to the basement and then going downward in the basement wall and that's where the camera couldn't go any further (why it couldn't I don't know but I guess there's an obstruction). I'm wondering what could that obstruction be in the first place? Do things clog at that point? And if so, wouldn't the snake grab whatever's there?

On a side note, I'm also wondering if we connect every single pipe to the septic, would that ever overflow the septic? Perhaps there was a drywell when the house was first built in 1960 but now it's not really needed ???

Thanks.
ziganska is offline   Reply With Quote