Kitchen Sink Backs Up On Both Sides. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen sink backs up on both sides.

I plunged the side without the disposal and both sides of water went down but when you try to run water, it immediately backs up again. I checked the p trap and it was clear. I then bought a hand crank snake and it reaches a certain point and will go no further (did this on both the disposal side and the other side). Tried serveral times to push past the blockage but it wouldn't go. Before I call a plumber, is there anything else anyone can suggest. (the house is on a slab so no basement access)

Advertisement

nanlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

A plumber's snake will usually only plunge right through the grease and other organic kitchen gunk blockage.
Before calling a plumber, do what I do....use a good enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare. You run warm water down the drains, pour in the DrainCare and let it eat the organic gunk out overnight, and then flush it all down with hot water. I always start the flushing the next morning with a kettle of boiling water. If the clog is really bad, you may have to do it more than once, but it always works.
Enzyme-based drain cleaners, unlike caustic drain cleaners, will not harm your fixtures or pipes or you.
Works for me!
Good Luck!
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry to disagree - do not put any drain cleaner down there at this time. If you can't unclog it that way you are now dealing with a hazardous chemical as well as a clog.

If no other drains backing up now - it looks like it is just the fixture drain so it shouldn't be too far down.

I would try a few more times and then rent a drain cleaning machine.
castiron is offline   Reply With Quote