Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen Sink

So I just bought a new kitchen faucet and was going to get it installed tonight. I have installed a few in the past with no problem. Unfortunatly I don't have a basin wrench and I can't get the nut off the bottom of the faucet. I have destroyed my hands trying . I drank two beers after to take the edge off and now I can't drive to get a basin wrench, but it's really bugging me that I can't get this done tonight. Are there any tricks out there? Or should I just shut it down for tonight? Thanks everyone.

rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kitchen Sink

I hate it when this happens to me. But, there is just no substitute for the right tool.

If I were you I would apply more beer and finish it tomorrow with the right tool. But I've learned the hard way the lesson of working too late, too tired and without the right tools

I assume you mean the nut off the old faucet? There are a number of things to try. In a pinch, I have used my roto-tool to cut a notch through part of the nut and used a big screw driver and a hammer to knock it loose. But, this might not be the best suggestion if you've already had too much to drink to drive..... .

Good luck. Hopefully some of the plumbers will have a better suggestion.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Kitchen Sink

what about pulling the sink to get to the nut? not the best answer obviously, but without a basin wrench the only thing i would try is a very small crescent.
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

Kitchen Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I hate it when this happens to me. But, there is just no substitute for the right tool.

If I were you I would apply more beer and finish it tomorrow with the right tool. But I've learned the hard way the lesson of working too late, too tired and without the right tools

I assume you mean the nut off the old faucet? There are a number of things to try. In a pinch, I have used my roto-tool to cut a notch through part of the nut and used a big screw driver and a hammer to knock it loose. But, this might not be the best suggestion if you've already had too much to drink to drive..... .

Good luck. Hopefully some of the plumbers will have a better suggestion.

Haha I agree. I don't have a roto tool anywho. I figured I would bring my oscillating tool home from work tommorow and do exactly what you just suggested. I guess not getting it done tonight isn't a big deal, I just hate being beaten by an old sink.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #5

Kitchen Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
what about pulling the sink to get to the nut? not the best answer obviously, but without a basin wrench the only thing i would try is a very small crescent.
Ya know what, I undid the drains, unscrewed the sink clamps, stood up and realised that the faucet goes through the sink... Can't take the sink out. I had to laugh about that.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #6

Kitchen Sink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberhead View Post
Ya know what, I undid the drains, unscrewed the sink clamps, stood up and realised that the faucet goes through the sink... Can't take the sink out. I had to laugh about that.
goes it go thru the countertop as well? cause it is supposed to be attached to the sink
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kitchen Sink

Quote:
Yeah. It's time to knock off for the night. I have learned to just 'stop' when things get dicy at the end of the day. You stop thinking straight and start making bad decisions and judgment calls.

I have broken something or hurt myself one too many times when I thought to myself.. just a few more minutes and I can be done!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #8

Kitchen Sink

Yup. I gave up a while back. I appreciate the replies. I'll get this done tommorow after work.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #9

Kitchen Sink

Quote:
Yup. I gave up a while back. I appreciate the replies. I'll get this done tommorow after work.
enjoy the beer