Kitchen Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen Sink


Hello!

I have a half finished job and a contractor who pulled a Houdini.

I have already plumbed for in and out and the hole was cut in the countertop, but I have this stainless steel kitchen sink that sits in the hole on its own half inch edging.

My question - how do I install it properly? Does it require a gasket? Silicone?

I have four long bolts with nuts with teeth that I'm pretty sure should play some part in this - what do I do with them? Are there brackets I need to purchase or are they already on the sink somewhere?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

dedrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Kitchen Sink


Quote:
Originally Posted by dedrie77 View Post
Hello!

I have a half finished job and a contractor who pulled a Houdini.

I have already plumbed for in and out and the hole was cut in the countertop, but I have this stainless steel kitchen sink that sits in the hole on its own half inch edging.

My question - how do I install it properly? Does it require a gasket? Silicone?

I have four long bolts with nuts with teeth that I'm pretty sure should play some part in this - what do I do with them? Are there brackets I need to purchase or are they already on the sink somewhere?

Thanks!!
Here a link that explains better than what I could! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5f...hen-sin_school

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen Sink


Thanks! It doesn't explain the nuts, bolts & brackets, but on closer inspection I think I've figured them out.
dedrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Kitchen Sink


Quote:
Originally Posted by dedrie77 View Post
Thanks! It doesn't explain the nuts, bolts & brackets, but on closer inspection I think I've figured them out.
Yah! Most sinks come with little loops or hooks welded on the sides.
The brackets are hooked on the loops then the screw, which is threaded through the bracket, is screwed up tight to the under side of the counter top.
Have a look under a friends sink and you'll see what I mean.
Manufacturers always include install directions and if yours is missing, perhaps a visit to their webpage will have a manual that you can down-load.
Beware of plumbers 'cleavage' ! LOL!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,643
Rewards Points: 3,352
Default

Kitchen Sink


Try to seal the counter top sink hole, if wood, with paint or shellac or waterproof something. At the edge and first 2" of the underside, if possible. To protect against future water damage. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen Sink


Deletia

Last edited by dedrie77; 05-22-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Non-sequential
dedrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,346
Rewards Points: 3,652
Default

Kitchen Sink


Go to the sink manufacturers website. Many of them will have installation manuals online along with a parts listing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,346
Rewards Points: 3,652
Default

Kitchen Sink


Quote:
Originally Posted by dedrie77 View Post
Yes, yes... but if it doesn't tell me how to install a kitchen sink, I can't say I really give a damn... post in a different forum, freak.
And you say the plumber walked off the job?
I wonder why?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Newbie Bill
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,058
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Kitchen Sink


Hey Ron,

Dedrie's comments were directed at an inappropriate post. That post has since been removed.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen Sink


Actually, since that posting has been removed, can mine be removed too? It does look kind of bad...
dedrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen Sink


Quote:
And you say the plumber walked off the job?
I wonder why?
Ron

... and my plumber didn't "walk off" the job... I did the plumbing. My contractor - hired to do framing, drywalling and cabinet installation - has been working on it for 6 hours a month in two and three hour spurts since February and I got tired of waiting for him to come back - did I mention I'm on a remote island? He's too busy to fit me in - which is fine, but that means I have to do it myself. He certainly didn't leave angry - he's been paid for everything he's done and I didn't call him any names
dedrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,346
Rewards Points: 3,652
Default

Kitchen Sink


Quote:
Originally Posted by dedrie77 View Post
... and my plumber didn't "walk off" the job... I did the plumbing. My contractor - hired to do framing, drywalling and cabinet installation - has been working on it for 6 hours a month in two and three hour spurts since February and I got tired of waiting for him to come back - did I mention I'm on a remote island? He's too busy to fit me in - which is fine, but that means I have to do it myself. He certainly didn't leave angry - he's been paid for everything he's done and I didn't call him any names
Sorry, It looked like you were going off on GBAR for no apparent reason. I mean, you could have been his wife.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smell Under Kitchen Sink mamaerin General DIY Discussions 4 09-23-2009 11:01 AM
Anybody install or own a CORNER kitchen sink? Also RTA cabs... matermark Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 2 01-24-2009 05:41 PM
Cast iron self-rimming kitchen sink & granite tile ILjXYZ Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 1 01-03-2009 05:53 PM
Kitchen sink recommendations? pweller Plumbing 4 07-08-2008 08:43 AM
Rehabbing a porcelain kitchen sink guenthecat Remodeling 10 12-18-2007 10:10 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts