Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen remodel and venting

We have a 1960 ranch house that we are doing the kitchen remodel on. The kitchen cabinet plan is completed, and now it's time to rewire and move the plumbing. The current layout of the plumbing is shown here:

The wall we are looking at is outside facing, the wall on the left is a carport wall, and the wall to the right is an interior wall. One of the big concerns is the fact that the roof is a low pitch roof with a new membrane put on a few years ago, and I really don't want to put a new hole in that if possible. The window has an 8" header above it that runs the entire length of the wall (marked as a brown beam) (there was a double window in when the house was built, taken out around 1981 based on research.)

The venting pipe is 1 1/4", while the drain pipe is 1 1/2". The plan is to put the sink in the right hand corner, with the drain coming out of the wall where the red circle is in the next picture. It would be easier if we could use the left-hand side of the wall, but due to appliance placing, this is not feasible. The fridge will be on that wall, and the preferred stove placement is also on that wall for existing venting purposes (move walls, and there's another hole that has to go through that roof!). So fridge, stove & sink are a no-go!

The drain pipe in the basement runs towards the inside of the house as shown in the picture. So..... venting. Do I have any options for venting the sink with the existing vent stack, or am I forced to utilize the inside wall to the right and poke a new hole into the roof?

Thanks in advance for any insight...
Joe

joeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Use the existing vent. I don't like how low the horizontal part is but if it worked....
Rotate the tee and run a trap arm over to your dot- thats the easy way. A better way is to relocate the vertical drain to your dot then continue over to the existing vent.

Horizontal vents should be 6" above the fixture served (42" above the floor) your's looks like about 24"

Last edited by TheEplumber; 12-14-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added note
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
joeh (12-16-2011), plummen (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #3

thats what i was thinking replace lower drain line come up on your center with your tee off top of tee 90 left to vent.....as eplumber said vent should be at least42" off floor but if it works so be it... just looking at your pics you could raise vent....if you wanted .....more work..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Not very familiar with the code in your area I know most house have basements, and you may have a clean out under there for that line, that stack is offset hard to get a snake down that vent in case of a stack stoppage. Here we are required to have a clean out at the base of the stack when its offset, turned to the outside wall when possible.. the guys are on the money use the same vent. Good luck with your project.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses everybody. Yes, the current horizontal vent line is 24" off the floor level, and was well below the bottom of the sink. We didn't have any issues, but I'd prefer to have things as close to right as possible. There is a clean out in the basement at the start of that horizontal line as shown by the red circle, so I don't plan on adding any clean outs to the vent.

So the preferred avenue of attack is using the orange line, while the blue line would be the lazy way out. I have access to everything now, so I'll plan on going as close to orange as possible, as the electrical will be in the same vicinity and I may need to run a few inches lower.

joeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #6

great way to think...will make a damm good plumber out of someone on this site yet... looks like your in the lead.. ben

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote