Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen remodel, Strange plumbing.

I gut my kitchen today and was kind of surprised to see the kind of plumbing done. With the way it is not, I cannot put a new cabinet in at all unless I cut a large hole in the bottom of the cabinet. I am attaching a picture.

Looking at it, What are my options? Do I cut the waste pvc pipe about 5-6 inches from the floor and do the plumbing after the cabinet is in?

I kind of find the water pipes strange as well. I will have to remove that too in order to create the smallest hole possible in the cabinet. Any Ideas how I can take care of both these issues without causing much damage and also avoid major plumbing work.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen remodel, Strange plumbing.-photo.jpg  

shbhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbhalla View Post
I gut my kitchen today and was kind of surprised to see the kind of plumbing done. With the way it is not, I cannot put a new cabinet in at all unless I cut a large hole in the bottom of the cabinet. I am attaching a picture.

Looking at it, What are my options? Do I cut the waste pvc pipe about 5-6 inches from the floor and do the plumbing after the cabinet is in?

I kind of find the water pipes strange as well. I will have to remove that too in order to create the smallest hole possible in the cabinet. Any Ideas how I can take care of both these issues without causing much damage and also avoid major plumbing work.
If it was my job to do I'd remove the drywall and rerun the drain so it was behind the wall not through the floor the way it was suppost to be run.
That looks tubing that was run wrong in my opion also. It was suppost to connected behind the wall to copper subouts. That way all you saw on the wall side was two copper tubes sticking out.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
shbhalla (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbhalla View Post

Cut the waste pipe off above the cabinet base as you suggest. Then you can rebuild it to match your new sink. For the waters I'd cut a square out of the cabinet back to receive the water supplies. Done properly, it will look like it was meant to be. Pex is stubbed out quite often now days and cabinets sink cabinets are often sold without backs too. They work great for these situations
shbhalla (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #4

Thanks that seems to be the best option as well.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

I'll second the recommendation to open up the wall. Is there some reason they couldn't get the drain pipe in the wall and run a standard vent up and out of the roof. Judging from the plywood floor, I'm gonna guess you have a basement or crawlspace under this area - take a look and see if the pipe can be moved back without interference.

The AAV should be a last resort - it also belongs 6" above the flood rim of the fixture which doesn't seem possible in this scenario.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

As noted above....two options.....

1. Open up the wall and put the drain in there.

2. Cut it off at the floor then rebuild.

The final choice depends on how OCD you are....and how easy the access is from below.....downside to option 1...beside having to plug a hole in the floor.

With that said...this is a good example of why we have building codes.....and inspections...and permits....

Not trying to make you feel bad....but...It makes me wonder what the rest of the house looks like under the wrap.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #7

So there is a basement in this house. I will check the basement and report back. Fortunately it is unfinished. The bathroom on this same floor has exactly the same plumbing. I think this was a standard The builder (Pulte) had back in 2000.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

I'd go with the others and suggest that now is a good time to get the drain in the wall.
Was the original a 2 bowl sink with 2 traps on it? Or was there a dishwasher?

Also looks like the hot water has 2 valves. Was there also a dishwasher there that's going back.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #9

Yes 2 sinks and a dish washer to the left of the sink had attachments from here.

Shelley.