Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Island sink odor

I have a foul odor that appears to be coming from my island sink area in the kitchen. The island has a dishwasher and a large, single sink with a disposer. The island also has a small vent with a metal top in the countertop near the faucet. The odor only appears in the kitchen, all other sinks are odorless.

The sink drains free, as does the dishwasher.

How does this small surface vent work? Could it be plugged up? Should I run some baking soda and vinegar down the sink? Should I pull & clean the sink trap?
SixStrRzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
call me E

Kitchen Island sink odor

The air gap (or vent as you're calling it) on the counter top is for the dishwasher. Should be nothing wrong with it. How is the sink vented inside the island? Is there a loop vent or a auto air vent? If there is an AAV, It may have failed and is allowing sewer gas into the cabinet.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
plumberinlaw (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

Kitchen Island sink odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
The air gap (or vent as you're calling it) on the counter top is for the dishwasher. Should be nothing wrong with it. How is the sink vented inside the island? Is there a loop vent or a auto air vent? If there is an AAV, It may have failed and is allowing sewer gas into the cabinet.
It must be an AAV,as there's no top vent to the roof. Where is the AAV located?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Experienced

Kitchen Island sink odor

An AAV should be accessable, so I would think it would be under the counter near the sink.

Mark
Old 02-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #5

Kitchen Island sink odor

Where are AAV's available? I checked the Big Box stores, none have them. Maybe a specialty plumbing store?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #6

Kitchen Island sink odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
How is the sink vented inside the island? Is there a loop vent or a auto air vent? If there is an AAV, It may have failed and is allowing sewer gas into the cabinet.
How does an AAV actually work to allow air into the drain but not air out from the drain? Just trying to understand the concept.

Thanks,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #7

Kitchen Island sink odor

HRG,

Here's a link to a video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o44-NqTtYpc. Good stuff starts at about 1:30 mark.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #8

Kitchen Island sink odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
HRG,
Here's a link to a video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o44-NqTtYpc. Good stuff starts at about 1:30 mark.
Thanks for that link. Understand how it works now.

HRG
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #9

Kitchen Island sink odor

My kitchen sink is in the middle of an island. There is a vent pipe under the sink between the trap and cabinet.It up again but not back in the sink or drain, but since it happened, we had an odor for sink.We have not done anything else to sink or plumbing.

Last edited by andrugargy; 02-10-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Removed ad link in post body
andrugargy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #10

Kitchen Island sink odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
An AAV should be accessable, so I would think it would be under the counter near the sink.

Mark
I took a cursory look under my sink, and there's no AAV that I can see. Disposal, u-trap, no vent to roof (it's a sink island), slab foundation, 10-y/o house.

Is there a possibility that the AAV (or somethink that acts like an AAV) is located in the dishwasher vent, located next to the faucets? The dishwasher vent has a metal pop-off cover, and also has a plastic piece in the top that pops out, but I'm not sure what this piece does.

We've been in this house for 1 1/2 years, and the odor has only been prevalent in the last month or so.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #11

Kitchen Island sink odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStrRzr View Post
I took a cursory look under my sink, and there's no AAV that I can see. Disposal, u-trap, no vent to roof (it's a sink island), slab foundation, 10-y/o house.

Is there a possibility that the AAV (or somethink that acts like an AAV) is located in the dishwasher vent, located next to the faucets? The dishwasher vent has a metal pop-off cover, and also has a plastic piece in the top that pops out, but I'm not sure what this piece does.

We've been in this house for 1 1/2 years, and the odor has only been prevalent in the last month or so.
The dishwasher vent (air gap) next to the faucets should come "before" the disposal and P trap and prevents water from the disposal from being siphoned back toward your dishwasher. An AAV (or vent to the roof which you don't have) comes "after" the P trap and prevents siphoning the water out of the P trap along with better drain flow.

If all you have is the dishwasher vent and it is hooked up "before" your disposal/P-trap with no AAV, then I wonder if the water in your P trap is being siphoned out, allowing sewer gas to emanate from your drains and dishwasher vent? Verify that the water in the P trap is always high enough to seal any back feed of air from the sewer.

If your P trap is "always" filled with enough water, then the odor must be coming from the tubing that connects your dishwasher to your garbage disposal or from the garbage disposal itself.

$.02,
HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 02-10-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: realized that the OP does have a disposal.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #12

Kitchen Island sink odor

I'l have to look closer at the routing - How would water be siphoned out of the P-trap? Negative pressue on the outflow side of the P-trap?

How could that be possible?

I'll look when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
The dishwasher vent (air gap) next to the faucets should come "before" the disposal and P trap and prevents water from the disposal from being siphoned back toward your dishwasher. An AAV (or vent to the roof which you don't have) comes "after" the P trap and prevents siphoning the water out of the P trap along with better drain flow.

If all you have is the dishwasher vent and it is hooked up "before" your disposal/P-trap with no AAV, then I wonder if the water in your P trap is being siphoned out, allowing sewer gas to emanate from your drains and dishwasher vent? Verify that the water in the P trap is always high enough to seal any back feed of air from the sewer.

If your P trap is "always" filled with enough water, then the odor must be coming from the tubing that connects your dishwasher to your garbage disposal or from the garbage disposal itself.

$.02,
HRG
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #13

Kitchen Island sink odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStrRzr View Post
How would water be siphoned out of the P-trap? Negative pressue on the outflow side of the P-trap?
How could that be possible?
With no allowance for air inlet venting "after" the P trap within a distance required by code, the P trap becomes part of the siphon path. See "Venting and auxilary devices" in this link for a wikipedia explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_%28plumbing%29

HRG