Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen faucet for tub?

I just purchased a 60 x 36 drop in whirlpool tub to install in my new house. The horizontal surface on the corners of the tub have plenty of room to install a tub fill faucet. This tub will not have a shower. I would like to install a kitchen type faucet with pull-out filler neck that will switch from stream to spray. We could then use it in stream mode to fill the tub and use it in pull-out spray mode for washing hair. Anybody see anything wrong with this? Thanks
iffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #2

Kitchen faucet for tub?

Depends on the flow. If you intend to fill the tub it could take way too long with a kitchen sink faucet because most of them are "low flow". Tubs spouts will usually fill at a much higher flow rate.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #3

Kitchen faucet for tub?

Are they low flow because the internal dimensions are too small or do they have a restrictor in them like a showerhead? Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #4

Kitchen faucet for tub?

I don't know for sure but I have tried to make a couple of them flow at a higher rate and was unsuccessful. If you really have your heart set on a kitchen style faucet maybe you could find a suitable commercial kitchen faucet that would work for you or call a couple of the manufactures and see if they have any suggestions.
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #5

Kitchen faucet for tub?

Thanks much. I still have the ticket so can take it back if I need to. It's in a box not sealed in plastic so I can disassemble it to see what it looks like.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #6

Kitchen faucet for tub?

FYI, you can sometimes find high flow shower/faucets on ebay.
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #7

Kitchen faucet for tub?

I been doin a little searching on ebay. To complicate things, my wife chose oil rubbed bronze for our fixtures and sometimes that ain't the easiest thing to find either.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #8

Kitchen faucet for tub?

I took the faucet apart last night. Y'all are right, looks like a lot of things to restrict flow. Even if I remove the restrictor plates, the design of the diverter valve and check valves will still restrict flow too much. Guess I will either use it in the kitchen or take it back. Found a set on ebay in the color I want. It is a two handle job with roman spout and separate spray wand. The fine print says it is a trim package only, still have to buy the valve, but it doesn't say which valve. It's a Price Pfister, so guess I'll have to do some research on their website to see what valve to use.