Kitchen Drain Making Basement Washer Drain Back Up... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen drain making basement washer drain back up...

Hi, all. First off, I apologize if I didn't post this in the correct spot. Please let me know if I have.

Ive had my house a couple years now. Located in Kansas city, built in 1967. Basement was finished prior to me moving in. I've never had any drain problems until just recently.

The first thing that happened was the rinse water from the washing machine began to back up from the wall drain... First we thought the washer was pushing out too much water too fast but that makes little sense because it's the same washer we've always had and never been an issue for a year and a half. At first it would just drain slow. We could stand by the washer, and listen for the water rising in the drain. Then we'd lift the lid, stop the water, let it drain, and repeat until empty.

Now that does not work at all... it will drain but extremely slowly.

We recently noticed when the kichen faucet and/or dishwasher are running, the basement drain in the wall for the washer can back up. We first discovered this when I tried to experiment with this by filling up the kitchen sink and letting it drain all at once. My girlfriend was in the basement and said water and debri came shooting out... She was yelling and screaming... Will be a funny story once this is fixed... Tried running water through it but backed up quickly as usual.

This is the only drain to back up. We have a floor drain in the utility room across the way from the laundry room, and there is no sign it's backing up... (It looks like the Landry room should have been in here)... It's a walkout basement , and the laundry room is on the other side of the door, so Im unsure of where the kitchen drain, washer wall drain, meet n where they they meet the main line.

I was doing a little reading online today and decided to try this: similar to but first pathetic attempt to figure this out, I clogged the washer wall drain with a wet towe, and clogged one side of my kitchen sink, filled up other with some water, and gave it the old college try with a plunger. At first nothin, but apparently after the pressure built up, water started seeping through the entire towel and backing up in the basement... Not sure what else to do now.

Plumber came once, snaked the laundry drain, prob never seem to be resolved after that... He came back and then proceeded to tell me that I didn't have a cleanout for that drain, and he "thinks" the piping isn't the proper size behind the wall... Idk (warranty repair, guy was also extremely unprofessional, contradicted himself multiple times, so I don't know what to believe.Home warranties are a rip off... Take them if the seller pays for it, don't waste ur money renewing it).

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm willing to do whatever I can try myself before turning to the pros. As you can probably tell I'm no plumber and don't knoe what I'm talking about... But here to learn. Let me know if I left out any other important info. I will try to add some pictures, not sure if they will help though.

Advertisement

mjd616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

Moved to plumbing- sounds like you have a typical pipe layout for the age of the home.

Can you access the line to cut in a cleanout? Sounds like the blockage is in the floor before the laundry/kitchen ties into the building drain

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

That is what I believe was suggested... But because it's finished will require tearing into the wall to install the cleanout, and of course the warranty doesn't cover that... Nothing of it was mentioned in inspection. Didn't even know what a clean out was until all this started. So your saying once I have a cleanout there, it could be snaked properly? I think he was saying he couldn't get through the P trap with the right size snake (2"), he said the time before he used his littler one but obviously that didn't work.

Is there anyway to fix this from the lines in the kitchen?? Or is there something about being able to snake it from down here that is more desirable?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

At the washer gets you closer to the blockage so that's where a clean out should be. It's possible you have one behind the wall already.

A plumber could try to cable from under the sink or from the sink roof vent but it's hard to say- not knowing your piping layout.

May be best to open the wall for a cleanout.

There's some guys here that make their living cleaning drains- maybe one will chime in soon with more options.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #5

Ok that makes sense. And yeah, if there was one already there that would be great. Would like to think they would have made it accessible though... Think they flipped this house though... Probably didn't care about those nice little details. Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by mjd616; 03-14-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: cant spell :)
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

And bring on the drain cleaners. I happily await your suggestions/expertise!
Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #7

So here I go .... Let me just start out by saying that I'm not absolutely sure that I'm following the whole situation. But I believe you are saying that when you run the washer, a washer starts to back up and drains very slowly (if at all). Also, other appliances and fixture drains that run on that same line are doing the same...all coming back to that washer??? If I am following that correctly, I would start at the most obvious place first.

1. The washer should have a stack pipe (an open pipe about 2 - 3 feet vertical that the water pours into) or some other access to the drain pipe. This is an access point.
2. Move the washer away from the wall (just a little and carefully) so you can find the drain pipe. The washer needs to drain water somewhere. This is an access point.
3. If you cannot access the drain through the washer at all, find the next affected fixture or appliance. Sounds like that might be you kitchen sink. Whatever it is, start with the one closest to the washer. A sink has a P Trap underneath. Remove the p-trap by unscrewing the U shaped part. That is an access point.

Once you have identified your access point (the closest one to the washer). Go rent yourself a 100' - 125' snake from a local hardware store, rental place, or big box store. Push the snake in through the access point until everything starts draining correctly. There will be angles, elbows, and other difficult sections. Do not use a lot of force to get through those. You might break your pipes. Put the snake in reverse, pull out a little, put it in forward, and try again.

If I did not follow that correctly and all of your drains are backing up....clean the main sewer line.

And finally, on the off chance that the plumber was right about the pipe not being the correct size. The most cost effective option = smaller loads of laundry.

Let me know how everything works out or if you have any questions.

Ryan
The Drain Guys
TheDrainGuysNJ.com

Advertisement

RyanTheDrainGuy is offline   Reply With Quote