Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen drain leak

I've just moved into this house, and the kitchen drain is leaking. The landlord is slow to fix things so I have to do a lot of it myself. I know how to do many things but plumbing isn't one of them! Anyway, I think the leak is coming from the top of the PVC compression nut (I think that's what it is); however, the pipe seems moist up at the drain itself. It doesn't seem to be leaking from there though, or at least not the leak that is dripping. What does the brown buildup tell you? What do I need to fix the leak? I tried to hand tighten the PVC nut, but no luck. Sorry for the bad pics! All I have with me is a cell phone camera. Thanks in advance!

hullabaloo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen drain leak

Hopefully a plumber will respond as I am not one but just a couple things I see.

1. Usually there is more "fall" from the sink drain before the 90 deg. turn, which may prevent water backing up to the compression fitting.

2. Wrong connection to drain. Tail piece should slide into 90 and lipped side should come up to drain with a gasket and nut fastens that to drain. A little tough to see from the picture but they may have tried to do this tailpiece with a piece of galvanized which is improper especially if that piece is rusted.

This website shows how to proper install kitchen sink drains to help explain. http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/k...less/drain.htm I would just take it all apart and redo it. Would actually be pretty cheap. Then again, I would probably get the dang landlord to fix it.....I hate working under sinks.

dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen drain leak

Thanks for your response! The leak ended up being worse than I thought because water was coming through the bottom of the basket where the big black rubber washer was. I decided to go ahead and replace the drain. All of the metal parts were steel so there was a lot of corrosion. The nut that clamps the basket and the washers to the sink was completely corroded on. I ended up having to chisel it off!
Now I have a completely new drain basket, putty, washers, tail piece washer, and pvc nut at the bottom of the tail piece. It seems to be working now. The only thing is the cross pipe that leads to the p-trap on the other side of the sink is inclined slightly. The only way I can see to fix this is to completely redo the pipes on the other side, and I don't want to do that! The water completely drains out of the sink. Do you think the incline will be a problem?

Last edited by hullabaloo2; 08-19-2008 at 09:48 PM.
hullabaloo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen drain leak

probably be fine since there isn't a disposal and if you don't shove food stuff down there because the incline would probably help it get clogged up. If it were me though.....
dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

Kitchen drain leak

Here are some good tips. Does not mater house or moble home. http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/kitchdrainkit.htm