Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Kinetico Water Softner & RO - troubleshoot w pics

We just moved into this house (house is less than 8 yrs old and the water softener is a Kinetico 60 (on the model someone wrote "M+60/25B" ).
I called a Independent water softener biz. that installs softeners and he checked the hardness of the water (I didn't get the readings) and he recommended that I buy a different softener because he said parts for Kinetico were expensive and hard to find and it was not functioning and valve needed rebuilding.
He ran the machine through its "phases" and said it did not flow as it should. Also said that the drain line was done wrong (cross connection), creating an air gap that is a serious health hazard- he says.

All I know is that the clear (pre) filter looks dirty and that should be easy to change.

He also said this (cross contamination) about the RO unit (yellow tube) under the sink.

Now I'm kinda suspicious. This guy is not the Kinetico service/dealer.
What do I need to do / say when I go visit the Kinetico dealer, how can I find out how old this unit is, whether it is under any warranty? and what might it need?

thanks,
Mray
I have attached photos if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Kinetico Water Softner & RO - troubleshoot w pics-mgarkinetico63.jpg   Kinetico Water Softner & RO - troubleshoot w pics-mgarkinetico64.jpg   Kinetico Water Softner & RO - troubleshoot w pics-mgarkinetico65.jpg  
Attached Images

Mray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

I cant say whether or not the head needs to be rebuilt. Maybe...maybe not. I'd have to get my hands on it to tell you for sure.

RO system....the drain (yellow hose) is going into that saddle tap on your disposal tailpiece. I have always installed them on the vertical tailpiece coming off the other bowl.

Softener....it looks as if the drain from the softener is directly connected to the drain coming out of the wall. If so, this is most definitely a cross connection with potentially serious health concerns. The drain should be air gapped in order to keep any waste from potentially entering your water softener and thus your potable water supply. I'm surprised your softener doesnt smell like a septic tank.

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #3

Can you use a check valve for an air gap?
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #4

The ro is not a Kinetico product.

We would be happy to search the age of the softener for you and discuss additional service requirements. Please feel free to contact us directly at customerservice@kinetico.com. We can assist with prepping you for the visit from your Kinetico service provider.

Kinetico Incorporated
Consumer Relations
customerservice@kinetico.com
Kinetico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #5

The by-pass is the one Culligan uses. These valves are completely rebuildable and parts are only as hard to find as locating a dealer. Granted, some dealers prefer to sell new than repair but it can be fixed.

I think I can help you get it up and running again.
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote