Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Share |

Kinetico Water Softener - New House Has One And I Know Nothing About Them

I bought a house at the end of July. House was built in 1970. Previous owner made lots of upgrades, including the addition of a Kinetico Water Softener. I remember my home inspector saying that the guy just threw thousands of dollars away on it because they don't really do much, but that I should try it and see and I can always set the switch on it to 'bypass'. Well, I've left it on as I don't want to mess with the thing.

My question is this:

What should I know about these things? I don't know the first thing about them, and of course out of all the wacky stuff that was installed in this house by the previous owner (UV filtration in the dual heat-pumps, etc), this is the one thing that didn't come with a manual : ) I'm trying to locate a manual but in the meantime was hoping someone here could shed some light on the subject. I haven't added any salt to it (I know they take salt! : ) Previous owner didn't add salt either because when the house was inspected the salt tank was empty. I'm gonna buy a bag tomorrow and throw it in there to see if it makes a difference.

Is there any maintenance required for this thing? Annual maintenance, etc.?

mark2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #2

Water softeners do have a filter or a tray or a tank where residues are collected and need to be cleaned out or emptied out.

Some softeners use a flush cycle activated by turning some valves or activated electrically rather than physical removal of the tray, etc.

Conventional water softeners (the ones that use salt) add a minute amount of sodium to the water. This may be contrary to the diets of certain persons.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-20-2009 at 09:34 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #3

Throwing one bag of salt in it won't do anything for a while, until it switches to a tank that has recharged with the salt. Fill the salt tank up and give it an honest test period.

You have the best softner available imo. The only maintenance (besides the salt) would be to change the 30 micron filter once in a while. This should be easy to find and installed upstream of the softener. I get about 3 years out of a filter but it depends on the well water debris. Fifteen trouble free years on my 100 grain unit.
Dave Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #4

I bought a house at the end of July. House was built in 1970. Previous owner made lots of upgrades, including the addition of a Kinetico Water Softener.

The Kinetico is a great machine and should serve you well. If it had sat for a long time, then a simple mantenance procedure can get it back to normal. Can you say how long it was unused?

I remember my home inspector saying that the guy just threw thousands of dollars away on it because they don't really do much, but that I should try it and see and I can always set the switch on it to 'bypass'.

I don't think he knew what he was talkingabout because diffgerent softeners can be very different in their function, longevity, reliability and efficiency. You're lucky to have inherited it.

Well, I've left it on as I don't want to mess with the thing.

Turn it on and manually regenerate it. Does it have any salt in the tank? How deep is it? Let me know if you want to learn how to put it through its cycles.

My question is this:

What should I know about these things?

Use only a high quality salt and change the prefilter occasionally.

I don't know the first thing about them, and of course out of all the wacky stuff that was installed in this house by the previous owner (UV filtration in the dual heat-pumps, etc),

Technically, there is no such thing as a UV 'filter'. There is UV treatment and they very often have a prefilter, but a UV system uses ultraviolet light to destroy pathogenic organisms and doen't cahnge your water in any otherway. Bulbs must be replaced once a year--with care.

this is the one thing that didn't come with a manual : ) I'm trying to locate a manual but in the meantime was hoping someone here could shed some light on the subject.

Let me know if you need some data or specs. I nned to know just which model you have.

I haven't added any salt to it (I know they take salt! : ) Previous owner didn't add salt either because when the house was inspected the salt tank was empty. I'm gonna buy a bag tomorrow and throw it in there to see if it makes a difference.

Again, hope youuse cube salt or pellet. It helpsto know your source water conditions, especially iron and hardness.

Is there any maintenance required for this thing? Annual maintenance, etc.?

No annual maintenance but regular filter changes and keep an eye on the salt level.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kinetico, water softener