Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kenmore water softener brine tank full of water

I have an Kenmore water softener that's at least 8 years old. It's been working fine until a couple of weeks ago. Water was hard and I noticed that the brine tank was half full of water.

I found some instructions and videos on cleaning the softener, specifically the venturi as well as other screens. They were pretty gummed up but are all clean now. Nothing seems blocked and taking the unit apart, everything seems open and water flows through all valves and such. It all worked ok for about two weeks, then the water started getting hard again and the tank was filling with water again. I checked again the venturi, all seals and o-rings, all the valves and seals, discharge screen and the brine tank line and valves. All cleat and working. The mechanism motor works fine and the gears and main valve seem to operate fine.

I'm at a loss to figure out what is going on. Any suggestions or recommendations?

kb8wfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

Moved to Plumbing forum.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 524

Most likely the parts inside the main valve body are going to need cleaning or replacement.
In the manual for your system there is a parts break down , a spring and plunger along with a 8 looking o ring. It could even be that part of the rotor and seal will need to be replaced.

The other idea depending on water quality that the system is on, could be time to replace the cheap sears with another cheap sears.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brine tank, kenmore, water, water softener