Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Just bought a foreclosed home,All Copper stolen, Should i replace or use PEX or PVC?

Yes i know, its the Copper, VS PEX, VS PVC question again..

Just bought a foreclosure rehab home, all the pipes stolen..

What would you do?

Located in GA (we get about 2 months of freezing weather, but not too much),

We plan to rehab and rent the home out, but dont want anyone to re-steal the copper, does PEX have a street resale value too?

ehoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Just bought a foreclosed home,All Copper stolen, Should i replace or use PEX or PVC?

If it were me, I'd use CPVC (you cannot use PVC). While I like PEX better, if I were renovating a rental unit I'd go with the CPVC due to price considerations (I'd go with copper if it were a house I myself would be living in). CPVC is just cut and solvent weld it up. PEX is going to require some specialized tools that can be rented in most places. Now this is just a matter of opinion...all three, copper, PEX, or CPVC are fine products. You'll have plenty of life out of any one of them.

Of course keep your waterlines out of the exterior walls and even in those couple of months of below freezing temps you'll be fine.

Good luck

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
you cannot use PVC
who says so? cpvc is for hot, pvc is for cold, no?

DM
Old 02-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,136

Dangermouse is correct, CPVC is only necessary for hot water, PVC can be used for cold water. However, you may want to do some research on the subject of chlorinated organic compounds which may be created by reaction of PVC (and especially CPVC) with water. Some people think these compounds are potentially hazardous.

PEX is an essentially inert plastic, much less likely to react with the water than PVC or CPVC. You do need special tools to make the fittings. I did my whole house with Wirdsbo PEX, and I bought the fitting tool, cost me several hundred dollars, but it sure beat running to the store to rent it each time I needed one.

I think copper is a good product, but only if you have water with a pH 7 or above. My water is well water, pH is about 4.5 to 5 (very acidic), and after 50 years it ate holes in all of my copper pipe and many of my fittings, thus necessitating total replacement. Of course, I could have put a pH adjustment tank in, but other than eating copper, I don't much care if my water is acidic, and PEX is inert to mildly acidic water such as mine, thus the choice.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #5

If i had to choose between cpvc and pex i would use pex. I don't know about anyplace else but pvc for pressure is only allowed outside not inside around here.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Dangermouse is correct, CPVC is only necessary for hot water, PVC can be used for cold water. However, you may want to do some research on the subject of chlorinated organic compounds which may be created by reaction of PVC (and especially CPVC) with water. Some people think these compounds are potentially hazardous.

PEX is an essentially inert plastic, much less likely to react with the water than PVC or CPVC. You do need special tools to make the fittings. I did my whole house with Wirdsbo PEX, and I bought the fitting tool, cost me several hundred dollars, but it sure beat running to the store to rent it each time I needed one.

I think copper is a good product, but only if you have water with a pH 7 or above. My water is well water, pH is about 4.5 to 5 (very acidic), and after 50 years it ate holes in all of my copper pipe and many of my fittings, thus necessitating total replacement. Of course, I could have put a pH adjustment tank in, but other than eating copper, I don't much care if my water is acidic, and PEX is inert to mildly acidic water such as mine, thus the choice.
several hundred dollars? i paid like $75 for my crimper at menards!
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
several hundred dollars? i paid like $75 for my crimper at menards!
You paid $75 for a wirsbo expander tool? I think thats what he is talking about. not a crimper.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

must be differant kind of pex,the stuff ive used just gets fitting shoved in and the collar crimped around it.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #9

ya'll talking about this?

how much are they?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Danger,

Who says so? The plumbing inspector. You can use it outside, but not inside....even for cold. Yes, there are differences in code around the country, but try it around my part of the world and see how fast that red sticker comes out of the inspector's clipboard.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,136

Ehoez has the right picture, that is a Wirsbo expander tool. The PEX is the same as everyone else's PEX, however the fitting is quite different than the crimp type fitting used with the Menard tool. I don't think you are going to get a Wirsbo expander for less than a couple hundred dollars, but I haven't checked lately.

Which of course raises the question about what type of fitting is best used with PEX. I have never used the crimp type fittings, only the expansion type, however do check the history of Zurn fittings that failed due to problems with the brass. I beleive they were brass crimp fittings. This is the subject of a class action lawsuit. I now only use expansion type polybutyl fittings with my Wirsbo PEX, although Wirsbo does offer brass fittings as well. I got kind of spooked by the Zurn problem, so I stay away from brass now, although Uponor (they make Wirsbo) are not a subject of the suit.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
Danger,

Who says so? The plumbing inspector. You can use it outside, but not inside....even for cold. Yes, there are differences in code around the country, but try it around my part of the world and see how fast that red sticker comes out of the inspector's clipboard.
evidently, Ohio has different rules than we have 100 miles away here.
the inspector himself told me pvc is fine for INDOOR cold, but cpvc is necessary for hot. ( I have the green sticker to prove it! lol)
If there's a difference or bursting problems, I haven't found it. However, I'm always open to change if it's safer or for the better. I'll be re-doing all the plumbing here this year, so I'm in the same boat as well, basically, though PEX is a bit out of my price range. Now, I'll likely use ALL cpvc for the new plumbing. So thanks to all who voice opinions pro and con!

DM
Old 02-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
the Musigician

wow! I just may end up going with pex after all... the tool purchases kinda scared me!
But after a quick look on Craigslist, I found lots of sets of pex crimpers for less than even ONE at store price!
3 different sized crimper tools for $75, (like new, hardly used, supposedly) seems do-able for me! I can just put them back on CL when I'm done too!
How does the price of the pex, foot for foot, compare with cpvc?
anyone?

DM
Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #14

i found PEX prices @ for the blue

$30 for 100' and $90 for 300'

is the red higher priced? and what does oxygen and without oxygen mean?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

What's this "special tool for pex" that everyone talks about? :D
I've never used one - I have a basic pipe-cutter and I use sharkbites, I use screw-in U brackets to hold my pipes in place, voila.

But I live in a moderate-climate area with no rats and no one in code cares what I do - benefit of living in the country.