Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Joining PVC to existing drain

Gutting the whole master bath down to the studs. We had two sinks in the existing bath, and will have two again with the new.
I have to replace the sink drains, and intend to use PVC. But before the drain goes into the soil pipe I need to join it to metal.

My plan is to cut the old metal pipe back close to the soil pipe leaving the fitting from there in place, brass maybe. Then I'll have a rubber hub coupling to join the new PVC to the old copper drain.

Pulling as much of the old drain as possible. It has 50 yrs of buildup and developed pinholes in places (which started the whole process)

I'm not that comfortable with a rubber hub coupling and then just drywalling this back up. Is there a better method than this?
Live in Pennsylvania.
Thank You

Startinover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 666

Remove the threaded male in the black pipe then convert to your new material. Stay away from those rubber coupling.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 536

been using shielded fernco's for years and have seen them in service for years next best option would be remove all old run all the way in plastic
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

How about a picture?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,466

Not sure I'm following, but it seems like the weakest point of your idea is leaving the copper stub at the cast iron stack. Remove it and use a "Tyseal" doughnut in the hub to connect the new PVC line.
As for the rubber couplings, as jaydevries said, the shielded ones are the way to go. In fact, my inspectors don't allow the normal unshielded ferncos inside the building.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-15-2012), plummen (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,384

fernco cupplings are ok and hold up well..but I would remove pipe from stack and install male adapter then glue up your pvc this is the best method...ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #7

i agree with eplumber a tyseal is the best i like them 100 times better then the fernco brand donuts just harder to find
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #8

Thanks for all your advice. I will post some pics of this, but it will be a little while before I pull off the ceiling below again.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #9

As you might imagine, I've had other emergencies, and we have other bathrooms. As I should have from the beginning, I attached some pictures.
The drain from the sink looks like it threads into the soil pipe. The drain from the shower has a fitting that threads in. I think I should start from the soil pipe new, but whats the chance of being able to thread a new fitting into a 50yr old soil pipe?
Attached Thumbnails
Joining PVC to existing drain-overview.jpg   Joining PVC to existing drain-sink-soil.jpg   Joining PVC to existing drain-sink-soil-2.jpg   Joining PVC to existing drain-both-joints.jpg   Joining PVC to existing drain-shower-drain-overview.jpg  

Joining PVC to existing drain-shower-drain.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

You've got your hands full if you want to change that pipe.
It's actually copper. Cut it and try to unthread it. Use a big wrench with a cheater bar. Good luck. What are the O.D. measurements of those pipes?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,384

those copper pipes should unscrew ..may need alittle heat...as i said use 1 1/2 pve male adapter screw into cast glue pvc into adapter...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #12

well the one copper pipe looks like it is threaded in and the other copper pipe"looks like a brass 90" is leaded in. if not willing to replace cast at same time"which would be best option" i would use shielded copper to pvc fernco.
i to this day do not understand why some plumbers think they are like the black plague thay care all the correct certifications to be code legal. also i want to know if you do not use them how do you do a high end residential job or some commercial jobs where no hub cast is spec. due to sound and or fire reasons. unless you just do not bid on them.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
well the one copper pipe looks like it is threaded in and the other copper pipe"looks like a brass 90" is leaded in. if not willing to replace cast at same time"which would be best option" i would use shielded copper to pvc fernco.
i to this day do not understand why some plumbers think they are like the black plague thay care all the correct certifications to be code legal. also i want to know if you do not use them how do you do a high end residential job or some commercial jobs where no hub cast is spec. due to sound and or fire reasons. unless you just do not bid on them.
Thyeres a differance between a plain old rubber fernco fitting with a hose clamp on each end and a no-hub or mission coupling which has a stainless shield and gets secured with 2 to 4 clamps depending on the style you buy.
The only place Im allowed to use a plain old rubber fernco with the 2 clamps around here is outside the foundation/perimiter of house or building on a sewer.
The Following User Says Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
I can't tell the pipe sizes- hope its not 1.25" which can be found in my area. That would pose a problem.
As for shielded couplings, It's all I use inside a building. Like you said, sound proofing stacks using CI or air plenums and fire walls that dictate noncombustible materials.
jaydevries (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
retired elect/hvac/plumb

2nd picture should be a fernco 3x4 increaser and 1st picture should be a no hub coupling.
Fernco fittings with 2 clamps are for outdoor use,the shieloded no hub couplings are what we're required to use on work inside foundation including ground work for non gluable joints
Attached Thumbnails
Joining PVC to existing drain-hd-no-hub-couplings-ht.jpg  
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (05-20-2012)