Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #1

Share |

Johnwood hot water tank sensor issue?

I have had a johnwood hot water heater for six years. Recently i couldnt get it to turn on so i called a plumber, and they reccomended me to bybass the sensor by cutting two wires and joining them together manually and the heater resumed function. So far all seems well, but im worried that perhaps the water may overheat and cause damage to my home or the unit? Im sure the plumber i contacted wouldnt have told me do something that could be extremly unsafe, but i am still worried.

Im not even sure of the function of the sensor i disengaged, do you guys maybe have any insight as to what it may be for? It was just on the bottom of the tank close to the thermostat control. Essentially all i saw was one white and one black wire and i connected the two, i didnt really have direct view of any sensor.

Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post
I have had a johnwood hot water heater for six years. Recently i couldnt get it to turn on so i called a plumber, and they reccomended me to bybass the sensor by cutting two wires and joining them together manually and the heater resumed function. So far all seems well, but im worried that perhaps the water may overheat and cause damage to my home or the unit? Im sure the plumber i contacted wouldnt have told me do something that could be extremly unsafe, but i am still worried.

Im not even sure of the function of the sensor i disengaged, do you guys maybe have any insight as to what it may be for? It was just on the bottom of the tank close to the thermostat control. Essentially all i saw was one white and one black wire and i connected the two, i didnt really have direct view of any sensor.
picture would help...it sounds like the overtempeture sensor or clogged vent sensor....which i would not bypass until i made sure the tank was operating right and safe.sensor is there for a good reason have it repaired or replaced...ben sr

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 01-26-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: can't spell
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Model number, serial #?
Tankless, tank heater?
If it's a tankless one he should have know how to back flush the unit to clean the sencer. It's a normal maintance issue with tankless heaters.
http://www.eztankless.com/resources/...-water-heater/
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Maybe its the one with the glass vial that holds a spring loaded switch open? I think its under the burner. Dumb.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

It is not a good idea to disconnect or bypass a sensor.

All-electric water heaters have an overtemperature sensor in addition to thermostats that turn the elements on and off. This is for an added measure of safety.

You might get away with disconnecting a sensor temporarily if you turn off the water heater heat manually after each tankful is heated. Then make arrangements to have it fixed properly.

Tags
heater, johnwood, sensor, water