Issues From Underneath The Kitchen Sink... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
owl

Rewards Points: 10

Issues from underneath the kitchen sink...

To put it simple, the pipes underneath the sink are leaking where the duct tapes are placed. My room mate thought that duct tape would solve a leak ....tsk tsk tsk.

Would I just have to place some sort of seal at the connecting ends of the pipes? Or is there other pipes to recommend?

All responses are appreciated.

Advertisement

owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

I can't imagine why all those places would leak unless the washers are missing or backwards. I would just buy new and replace it all as some of the pieces are probably cut too short. Apply some pipe dope to the plastic washers before you tighten the nuts (although it is not imperative). I also note that the vent is too low (that is the horizontal pipe in the wall) as it needs to be at least 6" above the sink before it runs on a horizontal. That is not easily remedied but something that can be fixed is that you should loop the dishwasher drain under the sink bottom and tie it up there so that if the sink ever backs up it will not back up into the dishwasher.

Advertisement

jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Jp; yep I was trying to remain kind however there is one other glaring problem i am looking at; The uncovered 4" junction box in a wet area! Dats a NO NO
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

all that stuff is hand tight with a plastic ring EACH(no sealants) to tighten up on into each connection,if there missing you need to get them in there.just start at the sinks drain connection and rework it all the way out to the common drain line...watch the stuff(clensers)being slammed in there with the door and moving the pipes.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
owl

Rewards Points: 10

This message board will be seeing quite a bit of concerns I am having for this house I just moved into. I appreciate all your responses.

The sink does backup by the way, which is wonderful.

I may be able to work on the problem(s) this weekend; I will keep the thread updated.
owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl View Post
My room mate thought that duct tape would solve a leak....
You're kidding right? Honestly? Have you kindly asked this person to never again touch anything in the house? Looks like something my wife "fixed"! If duct tape is in any way touching the problem spot, it is INSTANTLY fixed....

If every joint is leaking that seems odd. Perhaps, as jp mentioned before, the compression rings were put on backwards. Even if you do a completely new set up it isn't very difficult.... just don't let Mr. Duct Tape help out.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Believe it or not I had a customer with the same issues and almost identical duct tape patches. Thought it was a test to see if I would scam them or something. When the son came over to ask advise, I told him that duct tape was not the answer. Instead use electrical tape. I explained how wrapping electrical tape real tight would elasticize and hold the joints better. He asked me how much I would charge to do that!!?? These pics brought back many laughs
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Crabby Bastard

Rewards Points: 75

more than likely these joints just need to be tightened, or reinstalled with the washers going the right way. you mentioned that the drain is clogged or slow, which probably means that all these joints were installed wrong from the begining, but because the drain was clear that water didn't build up enough to allow these joints to noticeably leak. Now that there is water constantly sitting in the pipes, it is explioting these poor connections

the good news is, even if you have to buy a new drain, this is an inexpensive DIY job
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

if ou take it apart to the wall and don't have a snake a long piece of solid wire small loop bend the end a little and feed it down/along the wall piping..might catch something won't see anychange till you fill up the sink and let it go.

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote