Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

Share |

Issues with junk tankless HWH. Need another solution

I bought and installed a smaller Paloma tankless unit last year. Since then, I have had nothing but cussing to say about it. The unit is supposed to deliver .6-1.6gpm. The max flow is NOT my problem right now even though I know it is sized a bit small. Problem is the MIN flow rate. .6gpm is just too damn much and the unit just LOVES to shut off in the middle of a shower even with the hot side all the way on!! Basically the shower head is 1.5gpm as soon as you bring the cold water in, it causes enough restriction in the hot side to shut it off so 2 min into your shower, it goes cold.

I am beyond pissed about the design and most retail idiots do not know enough to even be selling them. The one I have actually throttles the water flow rather than the gas as a good design should so when you turn it up hotter, it does not provide more gas to the burners, it just slows the water rate to a dribble. I absolutely need to find something that can handle less min flow rate. Right now, I literally have to turn on the sink faucet a little to flow enough hot water to keep the shower going. Friggin RIDICULOUS.

I have asked several retailers about how theirs is designed and get VERY little technical info on them. I want to know the nuts and bolts before making another mistake. Again, my MAX flow is not my issue right now, it is the MIN side turn on that is my frustration.

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #2

I think it needs enough minimum flow to hold the gas valve open (pressure plate inside the pipe) and keep the burner running.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #3

rheem/ruud offers tankless water heaters with a .26 minimum flow rate and .40 minimum activation flow rate.

also, 1.5 gpm is for a shower head is considered low flow. while great for water conservation, it's hurting you. have you tried looking for maybe a 2.5gpm shower head?

although not ideal, maybe a higher flow head could hold you over until you get a different heater.
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote