Island Sink Drain Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Island sink drain problem

I began to get a gurgling sound from my kitchen island sink about a year ago. I have read that venting problems can cause this. I found that the island sink used an air admittance device (AAV), so I replaced the AAV with a new Studor AAV. The problem continued, so I snaked the vent to the kitchen sink from the roof vent. I then snaked the drain from the kitchen sink thinking that a partial blockage would cause the air in the drain line to backup through the island sink. I did not bring anything up when I snaked the kitchen sink drain nor find anything other than a little waste on the snake when it was brought back.

I then tried to snake the kitchen island drain but the snake would not go more than a few feet into the drain. The island sink drains well but I tried to snake it just because I had the snake and could not think of anything else at the time.

The problem continued so I went into the crawl space to look at the plumbing. I found the following, a few inches under the floor is what appears to be another trap, but not the normal P trap but one that is glued. The pipe comes through the floor, goes into a 90, travels approximately 3 inches, goes into another 90, travels up about 3 inches to another 90, and then goes off in the direction of the drain line. All drain, waste, vent piping is ABS (black) plastic. I believe this second group of 90s makes what is called a double trap.

I want to cut out this group of (3) 90s and install a long sweep 90 but I have to crawl all the way from the other end of the house and only want to do this operation once if you understand my meaning.

Is this a workable solution?
Attached Thumbnails
Island sink drain problem-p1010271c.jpg  

Advertisement

oldphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

If there is another trap inside the island I can think of no good reason to have the 2nd trap under the floor.
Id eliminate the 2nd trap under the floor

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
noshoff

Rewards Points: 25
Lightbulb

I read your post because I am trying to figure some venting issues of my own. My comment is probably moot as following "plummen" I feel you can't go wrong. However,you mentioned the pipe with all the 90s goes up 3 inches at one point. In my readings I learned this might be called a "broken vent". A vent improperly installed but works ineffectively. Hence the gurgling. A step up" breaks the vent. I would be interested to hear from you or anyone if this makes sense. I would get back up on the porch and let the big dogs hunt if I'm way off with this. Way off or not I'll get on the porch.
shadowbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote