Island Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10

Island Drain

Can I just Tap into the kitchen horrizontal drain in the basement made of metal to add an island drain made of PVC are there any codes or cautions I need to know about. I have the upper portion beneath the sink in the cabinate figured out. Should I use 2" PVC and does it matter at what point I cut the metal to y in the new drain. Thanks in advance. I'm actually considering taking a plumbing curriculum and getting a diploma just for home repair knowledge. A local plumber wants 1500 buckaroos to run the drain and he is going to use an AAV wich to my understanding is not legal in my area, but he says that everyone uses it and will not be an issue if I ever sold my house. So that being the case I think I could do this job my self. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Maybe I am in the wrong profession 1500 bucks for a 2-4 hour job.... why?????


Last edited by pF45; 07-24-2008 at 10:26 AM.
pF45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber
mstplumber's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Posts: 211
Rewards Points: 150

island drain


While $1500 may be a perfectly reasonable price when you consider the cost of operating a professional plumbing service company, you should be able to do this yourself.

You will need a way to cut the "metal" pipe (cast iron). You can either rent a pair of special "chain cutters" or buy a couple of special sawzall blades made for cutting cast iron. Expect to wear these out, cast iron is hard stuff. Cast iron is a slightly different diameter than PVC or ABS, so you will need a cast iron to PVC (or ABS) adapter on each end of the new wye fitting. Make this assembly up first and then cut out a section of the cast iron about 3/8" longer than the new assembly.

Once the cast iron is cut out, install the new fitting using No Hub Bands. Make sure the fitting is pointing the right direction.

I also would use an AAV. They work fine and are easily replaced if they fail. Just make sure you get a real AAV and not some spring loaded piece of junk. Studor is the number one brand.

Just don't be too hard on the plumber you called. If he's legit he's paying through the nose for worker's comp, liability insurance, payroll taxes and a pile of other costs associated with operating a responsible business. (Sorry for the soap box.)

One other thing. Make sure you use a wye and not a sanitary tee to make this connection.



Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for your input!
pF45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
Doing it myself
Alan's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,798
Rewards Points: 2,086
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

there's a slight possibility it could be galvanized too, in which case, I don't think a chain cutter would do it.
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1