Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |

Intermittent / Sporadic hot water issue

I was hoping someone could help me figure out a problem I've been having with intermittent hot water at my house. I've searched on the internet but have been unable to find an answer.

It seems to happen a few times a week where only lukewarm water will come out of any faucet in the house. It can happen anytime of the day, at any faucet, doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Even though the hot water tank is full of hot water, no matter how long I leave a faucet running it remains lukewarm.
The only way I can get it to run hot like normal again, is if I go and turn on another faucet at the sametime, then after a few seconds both faucets will have hot water flowing at a normal temperature. After I do this the problem goes away and the faucet runs like normal. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to the problem. Sometimes it happens a couple times a day, sometimes once a week. The only thing I know forsure is that there is plenty of hot water in the tank.
Also, the water pressure stays the same and does not seem to change as the temperature changes from lukewarm to hot again.

Could this be a problem with the gas hot water tank, if so what part? Could it be a problem with the Thermostatic Mixing Valve for the hot water tank?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by tbone9; 11-04-2012 at 07:14 PM.
tbone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

Sound like you need new elements in your water heater...it is not complicated and can be done diy

zosoplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoplumb View Post
Sound like you need new elements in your water heater...it is not complicated and can be done diy
I'm not sure it'd be the element just because there is plenty of hot water in the tank. It just comes out lukewarm, until I turn on a 2nd faucet at the same time, then hot water flows out both faucets like normal.
tbone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #4

Mixing valve would be the first thing I would be looking at.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (11-04-2012), tbone9 (11-05-2012)