DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Insulating pipes with foam insulation

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  thinksincode 
#1 ·
Hi plumbing experts,

I picked up some Frost King PE foam pipe insulation for the basement. I have a few questions.

First, the hot water coming from the water heater. How close can I get to the heater without a flammability hazard with the water heater's flue? I think I recall something like six inches, is that right?

As for the other, cold water pipes - should I be insulating those too? The supply pipe coming in from the floor, the cold water pipe going into the water heater, ..., ? Will the PE foam insulation help at all to prevent freezing, or should I only put it on the hot water pipe(s)?

Thanks! :thumbup:

#3 ·
Also the stub-outs on the water heater require a special insulation it's blackish grey "with that insulation you can go right to the tank!". also i would give spray foam 8 inches just to be safe. but i usually only spray foam around hose bib and where pipe goes through Joyce/stud and yes it would prevent it from freezing, but also you should always disconnect your hose during winter to prevent freezing. I would only insulate hot/cold where pipe is near hose bib or near wall for freezing purposes. then i would only insulate HOT only when cold is a good couple feet away from slab/wall.

#4 ·
Hi plumbing,

Sorry I forgot the pipe type. They are copper.

I disconnected my hoses and turned off the valves for the pipes going outside, I was just wondering if adding the foam insulation on the cold pipes would help prevent freezing or if I should only bother with the hot water.

Also it's not spray foam, but pre-slit PE foam that you place around the pipes then seal with tape (I attached a picture of what I'm using).

Attachments

#5 ·
Sorry i am getting confused with other posts, and that's the stuff! it will help keep your Hot water hot longer when not used for a while and cold water from getting frozen so i would insulate from main to the heater then to hose bibs and hot from the heater then i would do the hot the rest

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.