Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating Pex that is underground

Do I need to insulate PEX that is underground? How would I insulate PEX that is underground?

mvillanueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #2

Burial depth is the critical factor here. If your pex is buried underground outside of a heated structure it needs to be buried below the potential frost depth for your region. Insulating it and burying it shallow is not a good option.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #3

Where are you located? Your pipe has to be at least 6" below the frost line designated by code for your area.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #4

I am in El Paso, Texas. We don't get many if any hard freezes here. I replaced the old copper pipe with PEX because I had three pinhole leaks. After tallking to some neighbors, I have discovered that this is not an uncommon mishap in this area. One plumber who told me that I don't have to worry about the line freezing advised me to go at least eight inchs deep which it is. However he did suggested that I use foam insulation for protection when back filling because I live in a rocky area. He also informed me that the copper pipe that was originally put in was of an inferior grade and when it is dented the friction caused by high pressure can lead to pinhole leaks. Of the three pinhole leaks, two ocurred between the house and main line which is replaced with PEX, but one ocurred in the house. I was able to find it and sweat a sleeve over it. My next concern is where will the next leak happen in the house. I installed a new regulator because prior to changing the whole line, I had what I would consider to be high pressure. Now that the new regulator is in, I hope that this extends or prevents another leak from popping up. Do you have any suggestions?
mvillanueva is offline   Reply With Quote