Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

Share |

insulating cold water pipes

Hello, I need to insulate my cold water pipes in my attic. I have seen some older posts regarding this and I wanted to know what is the latest on the available products. A friend of mine suggested I use Rubatex and he said to get the type that will glue to the pipe. What I want is the best quality I can buy?. Any suggestions, please? Thank you.

joefromcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromcal View Post
Hello, I need to insulate my cold water pipes in my attic.
A feed to a water heater is one thing...
but who ran the cold water pipe through an attic?
Quote:
Any suggestions, please?
Focus on putting the cold pipe somewhere else.

Wish I had something more positive to add.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 06-05-2013 at 06:35 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

Are you insulating to protect against freezing, or prevent condensation from dripping in hot & humid weather?

I bought a roll of foam tape, I think it's made by a company called Armorcell or something, the back is tacky and will stick to itself. I wrapped my cold pipes in the basement with it to keep them from sweating in the summer.

The the hot pipes (where I'm more concerned w/ keeping heat in) I used those foam tubes with the split down the center.

In my attic I have some hot water heating pipes that I needed to protect from freezing. I used multiple layers... the Armorcell wrap first, then oversized foam tubes, then over that I wrapped with a fiberglass wrap that has a silver backing. As a test, I embedded a temperature probe under it all at one spot and found that the pipes under the wrap would stay about 30* warmer than the surrounding space--we had several windy days with single digit outdoor temps in our area this past winter that resulted in my attic temps being down to the mid teens, the pipe temperature probe never dropped below 45*F even though I keep the heat for that area set very low.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromcal View Post
Hello, I need to insulate my cold water pipes in my attic. I have seen some older posts regarding this and I wanted to know what is the latest on the available products. A friend of mine suggested I use Rubatex and he said to get the type that will glue to the pipe. What I want is the best quality I can buy?. Any suggestions, please? Thank you.
For clarification- your problem is that the cold lines get to hot. You don't have any freezing issue?

Here is a product that is used by professional pipe insulators on a lot of projects I've been involved with.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/OWE...sulation-4LFD1
This is used on steam, HW heating, rain water leaders, H & C water lines and more. The wall thickness varies, most common sizes are 1/2", 1" and 1.5" The fitting are molded or you can cut them yourself. Also has an adhesive strip.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #5

I have the same issue hotter water out of the cold lines in the afternoon then the hot lines. For a few mins any way at some point it will change all this but I have limeted access to the attic space
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

TheEPlumber and others, thank you for the information. Yes, the issue is the pipes heat up on hot days and I get warm water coming out of cold taps. Have alreay checked for crossover. Don't know why but here in southern california they often didnt install pipes in the slabs, they put them overhead. No, don't have any freezing issues. thanksss again, Joe
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #7

redman, I guess you and I living in the southwest have to deal with hot attics. I never realized it could get hot enought to heat the pipes tho...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #8

I thought cross over as well. Then started to think about it I do believe my hot lines are insulated though
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Don't know why but here in southern california they often didnt install pipes in the slabs, they put them overhead.
Check your city/county plumbing code. A lot of Calif. cities now have codes that prohibit copper pipe in or below concrete slabs (in buildings), unless fully sleeved.
So, up in the attic it goes.

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold water, insulation, rubatex