Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #1

Share |

Instructions for removing a fiberglass tub? Help!

Hi guys, I finally have a pretty open week next week to remove an old beat up fiberglass tub from my bathroom. So I'm ready to finally go ahead and get to it. But I wanted to ask if there was anything I should be aware of before doing this? I have never done this before so I am a newbie to this, but I am pretty handy so I'm hoping I will be able to get the job done.

My plan is to just slowly remove it piece by piece by just using a reciprocating saw with the saw blade meant for metal (I only have blades for wood or metal, I figured metal cutting blades is better). I am going to wear ear buds for noise protection, eye protection, and a general dust mask. I plan to try to unscrew the tub drain and tub spout if they come out. Anything else I need to know for removal?

I appreciate any help. This has been a project I have been putting off for some time, and the fiberglass tub has already been destroyed pretty bad so it needs to be removed. Thanks so much and take care

Oh, and just so you know. A new tub will be installed in place of the old one, so I don't know if that will affect how I remove the old one.

amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
DIY staff

That's how I remove them---a good wood blade (like a Milwaukee) will be the fastest.

One word of caution: If your house is on a slab--frequently the plumbers will tuck the water feed lines behind the tub along the back wall---Look before you cut in that area---Mike---

Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

Sometimes it helps to remove about 2" of drywall around the tub using the sawzall (don't plunge too deep with the blade and cut something inside the wall). Now you can pull any nails/screws without damaging the rest of the wall.
Put a plug in your drain during demo.
Wear gloves- fiberglass splinters really suck
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodoko
Hi guys, I finally have a pretty open week next week to remove an old beat up fiberglass tub from my bathroom. So I'm ready to finally go ahead and get to it. But I wanted to ask if there was anything I should be aware of before doing this? I have never done this before so I am a newbie to this, but I am pretty handy so I'm hoping I will be able to get the job done.

My plan is to just slowly remove it piece by piece by just using a reciprocating saw with the saw blade meant for metal (I only have blades for wood or metal, I figured metal cutting blades is better). I am going to wear ear buds for noise protection, eye protection, and a general dust mask. I plan to try to unscrew the tub drain and tub spout if they come out. Anything else I need to know for removal?

I appreciate any help. This has been a project I have been putting off for some time, and the fiberglass tub has already been destroyed pretty bad so it needs to be removed. Thanks so much and take care

Oh, and just so you know. A new tub will be installed in place of the old one, so I don't know if that will affect how I remove the old one.
I removed two of these last June in a two bath remodel. Recip is too slow and the blade is too long. I found, if you are careful, a circular saw is more efficient. Set the blade below the shoe to a depth that will pierce the fiberglass shell slightly. If you are careful, and methodical about the task, you will be able to make numerous cuts making short work of the tub. You may need to employ the recip saw in some areas in the corners.

I used a ZIP saw around the outer edge to cut it loose from the drywall. You will need to use a utility knife in the corners to complete the cots there.

Good luck!!
CATliftTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATliftTech View Post
I removed two of these last June in a two bath remodel. Recip is too slow and the blade is too long. I found, if you are careful, a circular saw is more efficient. Set the blade below the shoe to a depth that will pierce the fiberglass shell slightly. If you are careful, and methodical about the task, you will be able to make numerous cuts making short work of the tub. You may need to employ the recip saw in some areas in the corners.

I used a ZIP saw around the outer edge to cut it loose from the drywall. You will need to use a utility knife in the corners to complete the cots there.

Good luck!!
I'm like a surgeon with a sawzall. I'd have it out in no time and with less dust
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
Msradell (11-20-2011), oh'mike (11-20-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #6

Hey, thanks guys for all the help! I ended up starting on the tub today and I used a reciprocating saw and an oscillating multi-tool to start the cutting process (photos are attached). I'm just going to do a little bit every day since I have about a week to get this done and I don't want to accidentally cut some hidden pipes or something behind the tub. But anyways, I took some photos and had a few more questions in the mean time since I've never done this before.

The main question I have right now is: Is it possible for me to save the shower enclosure? The enclosure is ugly, but I don't want to spend more money to buy another one. Right now, I am more concerned about just getting a functional tub put in so the shower is usable. It seems like the tub and enclosure are separate (since there is a crease between the tub and enclosure) as can be seen by the photos, so I wanted to possibly save the enclosure.

Anyways, if this is possible, is there any specific way I need to go about this to save the enclosure and just remove the fiberglass tub?

And the pipe that extends from the removed water spout in the tub (in the photo), does that need to be cut off to remove the tub, or would you guys save it and just cut around the fiberglass tub?

Thanks so much for the help, I really do appreciate it
Attached Thumbnails
Instructions for removing a fiberglass tub? Help!-img_0902.jpg   Instructions for removing a fiberglass tub? Help!-img_0900.jpg   Instructions for removing a fiberglass tub? Help!-img_0901.jpg  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #7
DIY staff

You jumped the gun a bit---you need to cut back the drywall enough to expose the nailing flange.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #8

Thanks for the input oh' mike, I figured I needed to do that at some point, so I'll make sure to start doing that today. But do you think I can remove the tub without damaging the upper enclosure? I want to save the upper enclosure so I don't have to buy another one.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
DIY staff

It might be possible --I'm a tile guy---so I've never tried.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #10

Unless you have the same exact tub, the upper enclosure will not fit the new tub. I doubt you will even beable to remove the enclosure without breaking it. It has to come out to do the tub. Once the enclosure is off you should beable to lift the tub out. No saw needed.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #11

thanks for the reply, you are right. I had to remove the enclosure to remove the tub. I was able to remove it without doing much damage to it, but I doubt I will reuse it since as you had said, it will not fit my new tub since it was made for the tub I had.

PS. Would you use green board or cement board around the new tub? A lot of my green board that is currently installed will need to be removed since it developed mold from moisture leaking under the tub (due to the tub being severely cracked). And I didn't know what the general rule of thumb was nowadays for putting up backing around the tub (green board vs cement board). And what thickness should I buy as well?

Last edited by amodoko; 11-22-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
DIY staff

No drywall of any kind in a tub area----Durrock--Hardi Backer--or one of the new fiberglass covered backers---

Paint on a waterproof membrane and you have a good safe surface---
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #13

thanks, I will go with the Durock then I heard that people sometimes put down some plastic material on the studs first (don't know what it's called), then they put down some mortar to make the durock backer board stick, then they screw it in, then they put down some kind of tape to seal the creases in the backer board, then some thinset mortar for more sealant, then paint a waterproof membrane. Is this overkill? Or is that the right way to do it?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #14

Are you planning on tiling the tub area or putting up a new surround?
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #15

I think I'm just going to put up a new surround. Tiling is a lot of work I believe in comparison to just putting up a new surrond, and I don't know if I feel comfortable in making sure that I can create a safe seal between the tiling/grout and the durock. Plus I really want to get this shower up and running soon. Why do you ask?