Instant Water Heater Location (Tankless I Think There Called) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via MSN to SFX Group Send a message via Skype™ to SFX Group

Instant water heater location (Tankless i think there called)

Hi, at the moment there is a standard tank / gas heater.

I want to move to a tankless, have done this in the UK, its a no brainer (esp as here we dont have hot water heating radiators).

First, what makes are good (i would think about sizing of 8-15)
Second, are there any codes in ON about where to put these units? The UK says you must not install them in a bathroom with a shower (moisture), however everywhere else is fine. They (BAXI at least) are good enough to put inside kitchen units as long as theres 30mm of space at the front, as no air is needed).

Last the vent on the wall, i assume theres code about how close to windows which i assume includes basement windows that can open (as mine do)...

All in put welcome.

Many Thanks
Ashley

Advertisement

SFX Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to SFX Group Send a message via Skype™ to SFX Group

Hi

Looks like i will go with a Navien NR210, unless anyone else has any input?

Looks nice, is 98% and remote control.

Any input as to how i get some rebate from the Canada Government would be nice (as replacing a very old storage heater)...

Many Thanks
Ashley

Advertisement

SFX Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,236

What is the point of a remote-controlled water heater? I have a gas tankless, and except for the temperature setting (which I never change) it doesn't have any controls.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
What is the point of a remote-controlled water heater? I have a gas tankless, and except for the temperature setting (which I never change) it doesn't have any controls.
If , for example, your 4 year old child wants to help with the dishes or wash the dog you can set a max water temp at the remote panel located close to the sink or tub, or both depending on how many remote panels you want to buy. No worrys about accidental scalding.
I'm sure there are other scenarios in which a remote temperature control panel is useful.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hey Ashley, Chris from The Home Depot here, I would definitely check the manufacturer recommend spacing for vent to a window as well as inquire about any local codes that need to be adhered to. While there are times when codes are considered to be "universal" or "good sense" what's code can and will vary from place to place. Always better to check and do it right the first time rather than have to rip out all your hard work and do it again. Hope this project goes well for you.

@md2lgyk the remote control for tankless units is great as a way to always have that perfect temperature for whatever you happen to be doing. Where you might have a specific temperature you like to do dishes in, your ideal shower temp might be different. A remote pad on the wall allows you to quickly set the max temperature without having to hoof it to the unit ever time you want to make a change. fabrk8r also makes an excellent point about the safety element involved when you have that degree of control.

Cheers,
ChrisFixit
ChrisFixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:

I installed my Rheem Ecosense about 1 month back..... works great.

As for the remote ?...... just another perk I guess.
I know what you mean regarding temp settings..... I have not changed the temperature setting on ours at all......no need. However, there is an additional remote add-on (not included) that I could purchase for my unit if I desire.

I am in the process of a complete basement reno at my place and my main reason for purchasing the unit was for the extra space in my utility room on the far wall where the old monster tank was.......I love it b/c I can now fit my dryer. washer & full size laundry/utility sink right next to one another with room for shelving & storage etc etc

57_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #7

The Eco-Sense is what I have too. Great unit; easy to install. I did reset the temperature to 130 but haven't touched it since.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #8

Quote:
The Eco-Sense is what I have too. Great unit; easy to install. I did reset the temperature to 130 but haven't touched it since.
Yup! great unit..... so far so good

Like I had mentioned earlier my unit is set to max safety temperature of 120 F. It's great for us but for future.....if I ever did want to bump it up a bit what exactly has to be done. I know it maxs out at 140 F.

The manual does not explain this (safety reasons I guess). It just says "adjusting temp past 120 F is only to be done by qualified technician".

just curious ;
Old 11-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
fabrk8r

57 Hemi, mine is a Richmond Encore, made by Rheem and I think it's virtually identical to your Eco-Sense...to attain temps higher than 120 I think you just hold the temp "up" button for more than 5 seconds. I'll double check my install manual when I get home.

Some of the larger capacity models require adjustment of dip switches.

Last edited by fabrk8r; 11-02-2010 at 04:13 PM.
fabrk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
57 Hemi, mine is a Richmond Encore, made by Rheem and I think it's virtually identical to your Eco-Sense...to attain temps higher than 120 I think you just hold the temp "up" button for more than 5 seconds. I'll double check my install manual when I get home.

Some of the larger capacity models require adjustment of dip switches.

Hey

I tried that out and it flashes 140 F but as soon as I let go it displays
120 F again and wont go any higher......so I am back to square one....lol

I know it's not a big deal or anything because we're good wtih the temp now but I'd like to know anyway.....Im wierd that way......lol

If you could find out that would be great......Thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
fabrk8r

***If you have children I want you to consider their safety before performing this adjustment!***

Set your temp control to 120 F

Press and hold the UP button for more than 5 seconds. Temperature on the display of the remote will begin to blink.

While number is blinking, push the UP arrow and the DOWN arrow at the same time. The display will show "140"

Push the UP arrow to set desired temp.

Check unit for safe operation and performance.

(BTW, this procedure is covered on page 34 of the use and care manual)
Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX Group View Post
Hi, at the moment there is a standard tank / gas heater.

I want to move to a tankless, have done this in the UK, its a no brainer (esp as here we dont have hot water heating radiators).

First, what makes are good (i would think about sizing of 8-15)
Second, are there any codes in ON about where to put these units? The UK says you must not install them in a bathroom with a shower (moisture), however everywhere else is fine. They (BAXI at least) are good enough to put inside kitchen units as long as theres 30mm of space at the front, as no air is needed).

Last the vent on the wall, i assume theres code about how close to windows which i assume includes basement windows that can open (as mine do)...

All in put welcome.

Many Thanks
Ashley
def. check with your local codes if installing yourself. vents and exhaust have to be certain distances from windows, doors, gas meter, and other things.

as for manufacturers, I had been eying the Rheem Prestige direct vent condensing unit thats .94 energy factor also and can be vented with pvc. Theres also Rinnai but if I'm not mistaken they can not be vented with PVC, so unless you mount it on an outside wall the install can get very expensive because of the cost of the stainless vent kits.

The navien units look interesting. I would def. shop around and price/feature compare. Be sure to look at the minimum flow & activation rates. Typically, larger units have higher minimum flow rates so that must be taken into consideration when sizing the heater.
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
***If you have children I want you to consider their safety before performing this adjustment!***

Set your temp control to 120 F

Press and hold the UP button for more than 5 seconds. Temperature on the display of the remote will begin to blink.

While number is blinking, push the UP arrow and the DOWN arrow at the same time. The display will show "140"

Push the UP arrow to set desired temp.

Check unit for safe operation and performance.

(BTW, this procedure is covered on page 34 of the use and care manual)
Thats awesome........Thanks !

I figured it had something to do with holding down the "UP" button considering I did that and 140F flashed then went away....lol

hmmmm pg 34...... I totally missed it.......I went thru the entire manual.
(atleast I thought I did )

anyhow......THANKS
Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #14

Mine must be a larger model (don't recall the specific one I bought). I had to remove the cover and adjust the DIP switches. I guess that makes me a "qualified technician" LOL.

Advertisement