Installing A Whole House Water Filter - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Installing a Whole House water filter

I want to install a Whole House Water Filter I bought for my DR Horton house built back in 2007 (the builder says the don't have the drawings available anymore). The house is not pre-plumbed for a water softener so I cannot figure out where the main water line comes up out of the slab. I have my water heater located in a closet in the Laundry room on the first floor of the two story house. Does anyone know where the pex manifold/ main water line would be located? I already checked inside the wall right next to where the main water line enters the slab since I saw some house had their softer there but I now think they just cut into the main on the outside of the house and piped it into the house and then back out of the house. All I can think of is that it is behind the water heater or maybe behind the washer/dryer units. Thank you for any help.

Advertisement

tallfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 658

Re: Installing a Whole House water filter

Can you find the meter?

Advertisement

stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallfixer View Post
I want to install a Whole House Water Filter I bought for my DR Horton house built back in 2007 (the builder says the don't have the drawings available anymore). The house is not pre-plumbed for a water softener so I cannot figure out where the main water line comes up out of the slab. I have my water heater located in a closet in the Laundry room on the first floor of the two story house. Does anyone know where the pex manifold/ main water line would be located? I already checked inside the wall right next to where the main water line enters the slab since I saw some house had their softer there but I now think they just cut into the main on the outside of the house and piped it into the house and then back out of the house. All I can think of is that it is behind the water heater or maybe behind the washer/dryer units. Thank you for any help.
I'm confused.

Also, do you wish to install a water filter or a water softener?
lenaitch is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #4

Stick/Shift- I know where the meter is and where the water main enters the house foundation. I don't know where the pipe would come out of the foundation that would split off to everywhere else in the house (the Pex manifold). I would think it would be installed on a none insulated interior wall rather than an insulated exterior wall. All walls are 2x4 construction.

Lenaitch - I am installing a whole house water filter only. I used the water softer as an example since it is usually an option to have building install connections for the softener more often than a whole house water filter.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #5

So the meter is outside the house?
Old 01-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #6

yes, by the street and sidewalk.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #7

So much for that idea - around here they're inside the house....
Old 01-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallfixer View Post
I know where the meter is and where the water main enters the house foundation. I don't know where the pipe would come out of the foundation that would split off to everywhere else in the house (the Pex manifold).
That's intriguing. I would think if you knew the entry point on the outside then the emerging point on the inside would be the same spot. I can't imagine a situation where a water main would not simply pass straight through the foundation.

Advertisement

lenaitch is online now   Reply With Quote