Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #1

Share |

Installing Water Pressure Regulator

I'm trying to install a pressure regulator on my main water line as it enters the house. Problem is that it is in a very tight spot. The main shutoff at the street goes at a diagonal underneath the driveway for most of the run, and pops up in the corner of the flowerbed right in front of the house, then under the house. At that last elbow before going into the house it attaches to the sprinkler line, a hose bib, and a grounding rod 4 inches away.

I am trying to install the pressure regulator on that approximately 2 foot vertical run right before those other connections because it seems like the only place I can do it, but it's going to be really tight. My only alternative is maybe doing it on the only patch of dirt I have access to just before it goes up into the flowerbed but that pipe has been buried for a long time and seems to be rusty or something. And I have a very small "window" there, so I don't want to end up breaking an old pipe that will make me have to tear up the whole driveway to fix. So I have a few questions:

1. Can I even install the pressure regulator vertically?

2. Is it harder to solder fittings onto old copper that has been buried for years? What's the best way to do this?

3. If I install it vertically by the grounding rod, can I take the grounding rod out while soldering to give myself more room? The torch I will be soldering with just attached directly to one of those blue tanks so it takes up a lot of space and it would be a lot easier if I could get that grounding rod out of the way.

4. Will this fix my water hammer? My pressure right now is at about 92psi, I got water hammer when 2 of my 4 sprinkler valves shuts off, when the toilet finishes flushing, sometimes when the washer turns off, and when I turn off the cold water in the kitchen. I don't want to have to install water hammer arrestors all over the place.

5. Is there anything else I can do to fix the water hammer that occurs in several places?

Thanks!

MrSmythe is offline   Reply With Quote